One thing to keep in mind is that the Setprint utility is not viable if you are
using 64-bit FrameMaker. It's only compatible with 32-bit FrameMaker.

-Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Framers <framers-bounces+dharding=illinois....@lists.frameusers.com> On
Behalf Of tamm...@spectrumwritingllc.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 9, 2019 4:08 PM
To: 'An email list for people using Adobe FrameMaker software.'
<framers@lists.frameusers.com>
Subject: Re: [Framers] Adobe PDF Printer versus my printer

Rick,

Can you have the AdobePDF printer set as the default printer when using FM?
The Sundorne SetPrint utility
(http://sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm ) does this automatically
for you.

Here's what I know about this issue as I asked about this a long time ago for
the very same reasons (If I am understanding you correctly):

In order to get the best quality output from FrameMaker, you should first
create PDFs using Adobe PDF, then print the PDF. This results in better images
and a more trouble-free workflow.

However, you might want your other Windows print jobs to go to your normal
desktop or network printer. Unfortunately, when FrameMaker initializes, it
simply sets its printer to the Windows default printer. So if you want to use a
desktop printer for your other work, but use Adobe PDF for all your FrameMaker
documents, you have to manually change the printer every time you start
FrameMaker.

SetPrint changes that. It will automatically set your printer every time you
start FrameMaker, and you can also call it as a client from FrameScript or
FrameMaker plugins.

If I am way off base, then my bad. . .

Tammy Van Boening
Tammy dot vanboening at spectrumwritingllc dot com www.spectrumwritingllc.com