Alison,

   Are you editing your personal maker.ini in C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\16 or FrameMaker's default which is probably in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020?

  If the former, you might want to close FrameMaker, make a backup copy of C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\16, delete the original directory, and restart FrameMaker. Do you still get the error message about initializing dictionaries?

   Most users do not want to reset the LanguageDir option in maker.ini. By default it is set to "dict" which points to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\dict. This directory contains the spelling dictionaries available to FrameMaker. Which of these spelling dictionaries you use depends on the languages set in your paragraph formats.

   Winfried's suggestion to reinstall FrameMaker assumes you were asking about the user interface language used in menus, dialog boxes, and various templates. Canadian English is not an option for the UI language, where the possibilities are North American English, International English, French, German, and Japanese. If you choose North American English, the default templates do use US English.

   Winfried also referred you to the INI Reference manual. You may recognize the setting you need there.

   Do you remember what the setting you want affected? Are you sure it was in maker.ini?

    --Lynne