I'm having a brain fart. Seems like this should be doable, but I'm missing
something.

I need a counter/variable that autoincrements, but NOT tied to a specific
paragraph style. This counter might appear in any number of different paragraph
styles and at different positions in the paragraph.

Variables seem like they should be the way to go, but it appears that there
isn't an auto-increment component to them, e.g., <N+> like when numbering
paragraphs or list elements.

All online resources I can find discuss autonumbering within the context of the
paragraph designer, but that's not what I need.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

-Dan