Wichert Akkerman wrote:
Previously Martin Aspeli wrote:
- Create a "site wide" portlet category for portlets that should show on all pages (unless blocked). Currently, people have to use contextual portlets at the root of the site for this, which gets cumbersome since if you block them in one folder, you need to re-add all portlets in subfolders.

This feels like a workaround for the fact that you can not selectively
block portlets.

I used to think that way, I'm not so sure anymore. Speaking to people about this over the past few months, I've come to realise that our model of thinking that the site root is the "parent" of all content from which things like portlets can inherit if they need to be site-wide is not how people tend to think about it.

I think to most people, the root is the front page and is just a page. You may want some portlets on the front page, or you may want some portlets that are global and show up (almost) everywhere. In our current model, the "workaround" is that you have to be careful to assign portlets to the root and then not block them unduly. This gets unnatural, especially if you have deep or complex content hierarchies.

I would prefer a method where you can both block
individual portlets and block only for the current object is, similar
to how you propose a flag to only show a portlet in the current object.

Right, we need that too. :)

Cheers,
Martin