Hanno Schlichting wrote:
Hi.

While everyone is waiting for Plone 4 and its rather long timeline, some
people have been thinking about how to bridge the gap between the
current stable 3.x releases and the future.

The general idea that seems to have met some consensus is to go for a
Plone 3.5 release up next. We'd skip any 3.4 release and go for a 3.5
that is similar in spirit to the Plone 2.5 release. It tries to both
refresh some of our technical underpinnings in addition to some more
intrusive feature changes we didn't allow ourselves in the 3.x series so
far.

-1 on skipping 3.4. It will mostly bring more confusion. People will ask why, and most, manly newbies and outsiders who don't understand the complexity of the Plone stack, won't understand the rationale behind it. Also people will expect a 3.5 release to keep the promise of stability of the 3.x series.

In order to frame the scope of such a release I made a listing of some
of the potential features for such a release at
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=rFHYANxtkRfGYchi1QuS5dA. The list
is both non-exclusive and non-binding in the recommendations.

It would be great to have such improvements before Plone 4. But I think most of these features, specially the ones tagged as "low risc" can, and should, be included in the 3.x series (3.4, 3.5, ...), without breaking backwards compatibility. Although, some may need special attention in regard to bbb.

I don't think there is a good solution here, but it will be less painful if we don't mess up with version numbering.

Just my 2 cents :)

Ricardo

--
Ricardo Alves <r...@eurotux.com>