On 3/16/10 12:34 , Laurence Rowe wrote:
On 15 March 2010 09:13, Alexander Limi<l...@plone.org>  wrote:
2010/3/12 Hanno Schlichting<ha...@hannosch.eu>

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 5:39 PM, Laurence Rowe<l...@lrowe.co.uk>  wrote:
On 12 March 2010 15:07, Hanno Schlichting<ha...@hannosch.eu>  wrote:
Currently listed for Plone 4.x are things like:
- Well formed, valid XHTML (as a foundation for easier theming via xdv)

That's really good to hear. Though I think "semantic HTML" or
"sensible ids/classes" to identify elements in pages is what I had in
mind with this point. Well besides the valid XHTML which is a
requirement for Chameleon as well.

It's also likely that we'll transition to using HTML5 (the XHTML-compatible
"phrasing", ie. HTML5, but close your tags), and Deco as a layout engine
will be much happier if we do a revamp of the existing HTML structure. It's
quite messy in parts from the 8+ years in production, and while it has held
up well, it's time to adjust to how the web has evolved since then,
especially with focus on our upcoming theming capabilities.

We will almost certainly have to use an "obsolete permitted doctype
string" to get lxml / libxml2 to output xhtml correctly. This means
the intersection of the lists in
http://svn.gnome.org/svn/libxml2/trunk/xmlsave.c and
http://dev.w3.org/html5/spec/Overview.html#obsolete-permitted-doctype-string
- xhtml 1.0 strict.

I'ld like to see a list of pros and cons of using HTML 5 as well. I am quite worried by the lack of proper support in existing browsers. None of them implement any of the existing HTML standards properly, and I fear that switching to the still unfinished HTML5 would be a several steps too far at this point in time.

Wichert.