Colorlab does very affordable digital to film transfers in both 16mm (4K) and
35mm. 35mm with optical track is only $.50/ft. These are direct to print — so
no generation loss, but also no negative. (They can obviously do negatives to
but it’s much more expensive.)

But a filmout is not really the same thing as a video. Another possibility is
to put it on the cloud, where the cloud service ostensibly keeps everything
backed up.

I also have a server with RAID 6 which gives double redundant spare drives. Two
drives (total 12) can fail and the data can still be recovered automatically.

SSDs may also be a potential backup as they have no moving parts to fail. Most
SSD failure is caused by too many write cycles but that wouldn’t be an issue
with a backup drive.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
j...@kinetta.com