On Nov 18, 2011, at 5:12 AM, Gawthrop, Rob wrote:

> So what are the value systems operating around experimental / artists film &
> video?

It's always seemed to me that there are vastly different value systems, which
is a good part of what makes it "experimental."  For some it is radical or
in-your-face content and/or far-from the-norm technical and formal values
(Flaming Creatures, Scotch Tape).  For others it is exquisite image quality
within the limits of the production medium (e.g. the general shift from color
reversal to color negative in US experimental film work c. 1970).  For others
it is self-aware funkiness of the image.  After all, in any film format (8mm,
S8mm, 16mm, 35mm) there is a difference between extreme fine grain b&w and high
ASA pushed processed b&w.  Each gives you a very different  "feel."

Much the same applies to all analog video formats, as well as digital.  I once
made a tape (mastered as VHS) from repeatedly dubbing appropriated VHS clips
which had an exaggerated tear (as in torn, not as cry) at the top of the frame
as well as many artifacts, loss of color and definition, changing to slo-mo
etc.  It was all deliberate to obscure the image content, but a friend who was
interested in the content more than my formal tricks complained when he saw it
that he couldn't see the depiction clearly enough.

Depends on what you're looking for and also at.  Some people think "nothing
happens" in Wavelength; others find it a sensory overload.

Chuck Kleinhans