Jeff, Kevin, et all:  to re-qualify my comments on digitizing super 8, my
intention was not to categorically state that the option I described below for
digitizing super 8 was the first and last word on how to do so, hence my
putting the word, "information" in quotations--which btw, is a term that
technicians use, not myself. As an artist, the questions I asked myself prior
to choosing my digitizing path were: What look do I want? Which digitizing
technology will help me achieve that look? What look/effect will a given
technology give me that I didn't intend? and, Which screening contexts will I
be presenting in? In fact, Jeff was one of the people I consulted with on the
way to making my final decision. So there is no 'proper' path or resolution,
save the one that will best embody, manifest, and support your intentions. As I
mentioned in my prior post, I've projected my compressed rez images (via mini
dv, dvd or .mov file) on a theatre size screened and it "looked stunning",
meaning that to my tastes, there was no perceivable loss in any respect from
what I saw on my colorist's monitor during my online--none, and I have an
obsessively discriminating eye. If I'd intended to blow it up to 35mm film,
then I would definitely have made full rez transfers. That said, depending on
the project, I may have desired the increase in grain should I chosen a
compressed transfer prior to a 35mm film enlargement. Last word on this: two
critical factors are the type of transfer device (eg, Millenium vs Spirit) and
the operator her/himself. Both must be optimal *for your needs*. I believe Jeff
is involved with frame by frame scanning which indeed is capable of producing
the greatest resolution. His knowledge and experience in that area is much
appreciated....Ken