Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Kuchar on the Oscars
From: "Fred Camper" <f...@fredcamper.com>
Date: Tue, February 28, 2012 7:44 pm
To: "Experimental Film Discussion List"
<frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com>

> Yes ­ Owen Land, Ricky Leacock, and Jordan Belson as well.

Oh, why not Hollis Frampton, and Stan Brakhage, and Gregory J.
Markopoulos? Or Oscars to Ernie Gehr and Bruce Baillie, who are among the
living?

Or, one might ask, how likely is any of that?

In all seriousness, am I the only one who finds the many posts in this
thread a little bizarre?

I thought it was nice when Brakhage was briefly acknowlwedged in the Oscar
montage, and it's nice when other experimental filmmakers are acknowledged
too. But when we start talking about awards, have we forgotten what the
Oscars are, and what values they represent, and how different the values
of avant-garde film are? Why should we expect, or even want, more than a
passing nod from the Academy as it is currently constituted? It's really
great that the money from the Oscar-cast goes to film preservation,
including of avant-garde work. Is there any reason to expect more?

Fred Camper
Chicago