Chuck is right - it's important to reiterate that the Production Code
(hereafter "the Code") was not a law, nor was the Production Code
Administration (the PCA, aka the Hayes Office) a government body. The
Code was developed by the major studios and aimed solely at THEIR
product. In essence, it "internalized" federal, state, and local
censorship laws into a sort of corporate policy aimed at producing
films that would NOT be censored by external authorities once they
were released in theaters (although this still did sometimes happen).
Perhaps it's better to think of the Code as "self-regulation" rather
than "censorship," in that the former is a voluntary effort by the
producers of films and the latter is legal force brought to bear on
those producers by representatives of government.

The major studios had their own labs, who would, of course, never have
turned over footage to legal authorities. And in the majority of
cases, the PCA's goal was to intervene at the script level, or even
the treatment level (or, going further back still, the point at which
a studio was considering purchasing the rights to a play or novel), so
that "objectionable" footage wouldn't be shot in the first place.
Independent labs that confiscated or turned over footage were, as
Chuck notes, acting in relation to censorship laws, and not handling
industry footage but films that were independently made - including
experimental films - and thus not shaped at all by "the Code."

Distinguishing between the Code and censorship laws might seem like
splitting hairs, but it's actually an important distinction for a
number of reasons. From the perspective of cinema history, too many
writers have acted as though "the Code" was a draconian measure forced
on Hollywood from the outside (i.e. a law or set of laws), which was
not really the case. This notion underwrites claims that Hollywood
filmmakers were nobly trying to load their films with politically and
socially progressive messages and imagery in the name of art, and were
supressed by the prudish and reactionary censors. Hollywood was always
driven by profit, and when titillating or otherwise controversial
stories and images drew more and more public ire (and thus became less
profitable), the Code was created as a public relations measure,
intended first and foremost to protect the financial interests of the
studios.

Okay, I'll get down off my soapbox now.

Jonathan