Wondershare Free YouTube Downloader – operates on any browser:
(http://www.wondershare.com/pro/free-youtube-downloader.html)
No need to upgrade to the 'pro' version (unless you want to set batch downloads)

The videos come in a flv files – just crunch them (to whatever format) with:
(http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/43682/flv-crunch)

Both are free – easy to use and stable (to import into FCP or Premiere).
Peter
________________________________

It depends on your platform - which operating system, which browser, etc. I can
only speak about Mac.
I find Safari and Firefox plug-ins (on OSX) tend to work for a while, then stop
working, or work only erratically, which is kind of frustrating...
I used to use this:
http://www.verticalforest.com/2010/06/09/youtube5-html5-converter-for-youtube-videos/
But I am increasingly convinced of the merits of this:
http://thelittleappfactory.com/grappler/
It costs money, but it seems not only more reliable than the browser plugins I
tried, but it also works with any video source I throw at it (I couldn't get
the vertical forest plugin to capture videos posted direct to Facebook, but
Grappler does that no problem).
Hope this helps:
Peter