I agree with Jon's analysis.
I'd just like to add that there is a free app for mac users called
videospec that does much of the same job as apple's mediainfo. here:

http://download.cnet.com/VideoSpec/3000-13631_4-176898.html

i use it since years, it's very good. importantly, it gives you bitrate
info, i.e a pretty pretty good forecast as to whether your video will
stutter or not (consumer-grade mediaplayers don't do the job for bitrates
above 35Mbps, and when working with bitrates of 75+ Mbps you need pimped
apple computers or professional media players).

marco

–
marco poloni
usedomer strasse 8