This week [September 7 - 15, 2013] in avant garde cinema

To subscribe/unsubscribe to the weekly listing, go to
http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/mailto.pl?mailto=subscribe
or send an email to weeklylist...@hi-beam.net.

Enter your announcements (calls for entries, new work, screenings,
jobs, items for sale, etc.) at:

http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl

NEW CALLS FOR ENTRIES:
=====================
Black Maria Film and Video Festival (Jersey City, NJ, USA; Deadline: November
19, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1624.ann
Newport Beach Film Festival (Newport Beach, CA, USA; Deadline: January 24, 2014)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1625.ann
Strange Beauty Film Festival (Durham, NC USA; Deadline: March 01, 2014)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1626.ann
Open City Cinema (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; Deadline: October 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1627.ann
Exuberant Politics (Iowa City, IA, USA; Deadline: December 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1628.ann
21st Chicago Underground Film Festival (Chicago, Illinois, USA; Deadline:
December 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1629.ann

DEADLINES APPROACHING:
======================
PCPC Arts Festival (Dallas, Texas, USA; Deadline: September 30, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1576.ann
Chicago 8 Small Gauge Film Festival (Chicago, IL, USA; Deadline: September 15,
2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1602.ann
ARTErra - Rural Artistic Residencies Portugal (Tondela, Portugal; Deadline:
September 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1607.ann
Last 2013 Call for Artists (multidisciplinary) (Tondela, Portugal; Deadline:
September 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1609.ann
LITTLE SCUZZY FILM FEST (Carbondale, IL, USA; Deadline: October 10, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1611.ann
Plug Projects (Kansas City, MO. 64108; Deadline: October 01, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1623.ann

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

Also available online at Flicker: http://www.hi-beam.net

THIS WEEK'S PROGRAMS (SUMMARY):
==============================
 *  Tesla Coils! Camera Rolls! Tokyo! and A Gramophone! – Joel
    Schlemowitz In Person [September 7, Austin, TX]
 *  Aaron Flint Jamison Presents Three videos By George Kuchar [September 7,
Brooklyn, NY]
 *  Lawrence Jordan Program 3 [September 7, New York, New York]
 *  Lawrence Jordan Program 4 [September 7, New York, New York]
 *  Wavelengths 2: Now &Then [September 7, Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
 *  Onion City - the Realist and Empire [September 8, Chicago, IL]
 *  Circus Savage [September 8, New York, New York]
 *  Shapeshifters Cinema Presents Dyemark [September 8, Oakland]
 *  Wavelengths 3: Farther Than the Eye Can See [September 8, Toronto, Ontario,
Canada]
 *  Three Landscapes and Song and Spring [September 8, Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
 *  Lawrence Jordan Program 6 [September 9, New York, New York]
 *  Films By Dominic Angerame Part I [September 9, San Francisco, California]
 *  Wavelengths 4: Elysium [September 9, Toronto, Ontario, Canada]
 *  Lawrence Jordan Program 7 [September 10, New York, New York]
 *  Bang [September 11, Boston, MA]
 *  Stop & Go 3-D [September 13, Houston, Texas]
 *  Amy Halpern's Assorted Morsels [September 13, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Stan Brakhage's the Art of vision [September 14, Austin, TX]
 *  Amy Halpern's Falling Lessons [September 14, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Google and the World Brain + Manning + Archimedia +         [September 14,
San Francisco, California]
 *  Heaven and Earth Magic [September 15, New York, New York]

Events are sorted by CITY within each DATE.

---------------------------
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 7, 2013
---------------------------

9/7
Austin, TX: Experimental Response Cinema
http://ercatx.org
8:30pm, Farewell Books, 913 E Cesar Chavez

 TESLA COILS! CAMERA ROLLS! TOKYO! AND A GRAMOPHONE! – JOEL
 SCHLEMOWITZ IN PERSON
  Experimental Response Cinema and Farewell Books are happy to host NY
  filmmaker Joel Schlemowitz! Joel Schlemowitz is an experimental
  filmmaker based in Brooklyn, NY. - Program - Scenes from a visit to
  Japan, 14min / super-8 to digital / sound / 2011, A short travelogue,
  shot in super-8, divided in three sections. Eschewing narration, a
  poetic documentary, conveying impressions and invoking a short moment of
  elegy to the recent suffering in Japan through the aesthetic concept of
  yugen (evocation by what is left unsaid). - In Springtime, 3min / 16mm /
  silent / 2012, A 16mm camera roll. The change of seasons, in Prospect
  Park, Brooklyn. - Teslamania, 6min / 16mm / sound /2007, Two camera
  rolls shot at the Collective Unconscious during a performance of
  "Teslamania" featuring Gecko Saccomanno and Tesla Coil Engineer Jamie
  Mereness. Music by Dorit Chrysler. Best Experimental Short, Dallas Video
  Festival, 2008 - Chimera, 6min / 16mm / live sound / 2012, Illusions
  made manifest through light and shadow. - Dame Darcy – a film
  portrait, 5min / 16mm / live sound / 2007, A short 16mm portrait of
  comic book artist and performer Dame Darcy. On the soundtrack, a
  turn-of-the-last-century recording from a 78rpm record. - Loudmouth
  Collective / Ugly Duckling Presse, 20min / 16mm / sound / 2003, A
  film-portrait of the Loudmouth Collective and Ugly Duckling Presse.
  These poet-provocateurs are the creators of the infamous "Anti-Reading"
  series, a carnival-like alternative to the traditional poetry reading.
  Best Documentary Short, Chicago Underground Film Festival, 2004 -
  Victrola Cinema, 3min / 16mm / live sound / 2010, A tableaux vivant. The
  sound of the victrola employed "live" for screenings, utilizing the
  Vitaphone sound system. Created as part of Residency Unlimited: Special
  Features.

9/7
Brooklyn, NY: Light Industry
http://www.lightindustry.org/
7:30pm, 155 Freeman Street

 AARON FLINT JAMISON PRESENTS THREE VIDEOS BY GEORGE KUCHAR
  Rainy Season, George Kuchar, video, 1987, 29 mins, Creeping Crimson,
  George Kuchar, video, 1987, 13 mins, Evangelust, George Kuchar, video,
  1987, 35 mins - The films that I've chosen here were recorded in the
  fall of 1987, a perhaps undercelebrated period of George's work when he
  and his brother Mike were spending time with their mother who was sick
  and in the hospital. - George Kuchar makes incredible self-portraits.
  It's complicated business, certainly, as these three films reveal. The
  way George interfaces with the camera is self-deprecating, human,
  hilarious, heartbreaking, and intimate. This is the most honest
  self-portraiture that I know, and here in the 1987 works Rainy Season
  and Creeping Crimson, we see a very frank version of it. Evangelust, one
  of the films he made with SFAI students, is a departure from the diary
  pieces but displays similar mannerisms. - My friend Mary Pacios, who
  edited Cinematic Cesspool, recently told me in her thick Boston accent
  that the way George chose his "picture stars" was that he cast
  people who were, "down and out emotionally, in the gutter." He
  had a sniffer for finding individuals who were not doing well in their
  everyday lives. He would put them in front of the camera, and suddenly
  they were stars. - My ideas of who George was are so closely tied to the
  hundreds of self-portraits littered through the body of work that I
  can't separate the performance from the person. I was one of the
  thousands of students he taught. I feel incredibly lucky. Sometimes he
  would stick his camera in front of my face, and I would run away. This
  response is one of the very few things that I regret in my life. - -
  Aaron Flint Jamison - Tickets - $7, available at door. - Please note:
  seating is limited. First-come, first-served. Box office opens at 7pm.

9/7
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
6:00 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 LAWRENCE JORDAN PROGRAM 3
  THE ONE ROMANTIC VENTURE OF EDWARD (1956, 8 min) TRUMPIT (1956, 8 min)
  SPECTRE MYSTAGOGIC (1957, 8 min) UNDERTOW (1956, 7 min) THE SOCCER GAME
  (1959, 5 min) PORTRAIT OF SHARON (1960, 7 min) THE 40 AND 1 NIGHTS
  (1962, 6 min) BIG SUR: THE LADIES (1964, 3 min) THE DREAM MERCHANT
  (1964, 3 min) EIN TRAUM DER LIEBENDEN (1964, 6 min) RODIA-ESTUDIANTINA
  (1964, 4 min) JEWEL FACE (1964, 6 min) TRIPTYCH IN FOUR PARTS (1958, 12
  min) Total running time: ca. 90 min

9/7
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
8:15 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 LAWRENCE JORDAN PROGRAM 4
  ONCE UPON A TIME (1974, 12 min) SACRED ART OF TIBET (1972, 28 min)
  CORNELL, 1965 (1965-79, 8 min) CARABOSSE (1982, 3 min) POET'S DREAM
  (2005, 5 min) THE MIRACLE OF DON CRISTOBAL (2009, 11 min) Total running
  time: ca. 75 min

9/7
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Toronto International Film Festival
8:30pm, Jackman Hall

 WAVELENGTHS 2: NOW &THEN
  Proposing simplicity as a radical antidote to today's fervent desire for
  intricacy, these films and videos draw upon either a collaborative
  process or an intimate subjective encounter to explore the
  correspondence between images and their perception. Exquisitely shot on
  16mm in the French countryside near Avignon, Hannes Schüpbach's Instants
  explores the nature of spontaneous time as related to the thinking of
  French writer Joël-Claude Meffre, transcending portraiture as it not
  only records the poet working, but also develops a memory of its own.
  Pepper's Ghost, by Torontonian Stephen Broomer, transforms an office
  formerly used for observation studies into a tunnel of performative,
  transfixing illusionism, creating surprising images using filters,
  fabric and a combination of sunlight and fluorescents. Recalling
  Slidelength (1969-71), Michael Snow's slideshow of plastic gels and hand
  gestures, Pepper's Ghost is a prolonged expression of demystified
  mystification, whose startling results are bolstered by a bold
  soundtrack. A contemporary version of Muybridgean motion studies meets
  Duchamp's Nude Descending a Staircase in Ruben Glauser, Max Idje and
  Christophe M. Saber's Homme en movement, 2012. Constructed from the
  delays in real-time video feedback and recorded onto black-and-white
  16mm, the film forms a multiple space via the shifting angles of view in
  the mysterious passages of a video eye. Naoko Tasaka's sphinx-like
  Flower unfolds like a children's story before it plumbs the depths of
  both a physical and metaphorical surface, as straightforward narration
  gives way to sublimated abstraction. Employing a number of multi-format
  techniques, Flower displays a compelling, duelling impulse that hovers
  between a grid and a waterfall. Constellations, a recent grouping of
  16mm colour silent blow-ups by Super 8 artist Helga Fanderl, returns us
  to the natural world, whose beauty has been observed and rendered with a
  profound curiosity, a patient gaze and an extraordinary ability to
  capture visual patterns and textures. Whether following at close range
  the semi-circular motion of a handsome, pacing leopard, its spots
  evoking rhythmic patterns through Fanderl's intuitive shooting process,
  or closely studying a tray of glassware on a ship as the sea reflects
  and refracts through the crystalline shapes, the artist fully gives
  herself over to the present moment and allows us to bask in it.

-------------------------
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2013
-------------------------

9/8
Chicago, IL: Onion City Experimental Film and Video Festival
2:00pm, Music Box Theatre, 3733 N. Southport Ave

 ONION CITY - THE REALIST AND EMPIRE
  The 25th Onion City Experimental Film and Video Festival, The Realist &
  Empire - Sunday, September 8 - 2pm, Music Box Theatre - The Realist
  (2013, US, 36 min, Digital) Scott Stark - "The Realist is an
  experimental and highly abstracted melodrama, a "doomed love story"
  storyboarded with flickering still photographs, peopled with department
  store mannequins, and located in the visually heightened universe of
  clothing displays, fashion islands and storefront windows. […] The
  Realist is a soaring visual romp peppered with turgid melodramatic
  moments, flickering visual rhythms that border on abstraction, and
  seductive images of commercial products with their dubious promises of
  physical nourishment and fashionable allure. In the process, It examines
  our own relationship to consumerist culture: we see in these commercial
  displays idealized, pre-packaged renderings of our own needs, desires
  and identities. Perhaps on some level we, too, communicate and define
  ourselves in the same way that the mannequins do\; we are what we buy."
  (Scott Stark) - Empire (2012, US, 48 min, Digital) Phil Solomon - "A
  re-make of Andy Warhol's Empire from high atop the Manhattan Island of
  Grand Theft Auto IV ("Liberty City"), far from the madding crowd of
  thieves, cops, prostitutes and murderers down below. I hijacked a
  copter, leaped onto the rooftop of an adjacent building, spawned a
  scooter out of the thin air and then gingerly drove it to the very edge
  of the precipice in order to roughly approximate that familiar view from
  July 25-26, 1964. And then I put the controller aside and did exactly
  nothing for 24 hours (48 minutes in our world). A day of rest and
  bordered inaction. And lo and behold, the Overseers appear to have
  accounted for someone, somewhere doing exactly this, resisting the
  game's narrative intention toward movement and action. Again and again,
  for 40 days and 40 nights, I was privy to a very different apperception
  of time and light, but one that was already embedded into the game's
  code, if for no other existential purpose than to act as a gradually
  shifting rear screen projection for the street level mayhem. A
  thunderstorm threatens, then clears. High winds blow errant pieces of
  limned debris. Golden waters sparkle and dance as the west-turned sun
  sets in the rosy-fingered dusk. Night comes in. Mechanical fireflies and
  custodial lights dot the void. The moon (twice) comes out to play. The
  night canopy is gradually withdrawn, as the morning light of weekday
  commuting burnishes in from the east. As we approach full circle, the
  blue afternoon gradually reveals the Building in its final iconic
  silhouette state, as a single plane appears and flies across the horizon
  line, doomed to repeat its fated flight path in eternal recurrence."
  (Phil Solomon) (84 min total)

9/8
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
11:00 am , 32 2nd Avenue

 CIRCUS SAVAGE
  PROGRAM 5: CIRCUS SAVAGE 2009, 720 min, 16mm-to-video INTRODUCED BY
  LAWRENCE JORDAN! EAST COAST PREMIERE! This remarkable, 12-hour-long
  work, here receiving its NYC premiere, is a truly career-spanning
  creation, spinning a lifetime of cinematic production into an epic,
  all-encompassing, immersive experience. Whether you spend the whole day
  and night in Jordan's world, or choose to sample particular (or
  multiple) passages, this is an event that's not to be missed! "I have
  woven together a vast river of image and sound from all the unused film
  material piled up in my studio since 1952. In essence this is my visual
  autobiography. There are clips from strange and unusual films, all the
  outtakes from all my films, as well as all the uncompleted projects. The
  sound makes no attempt to comment on the picture, but goes its own way:
  See a rose, hear a bomb. To me there is a wonderful counterpoint,
  continually bristling with surreal innuendo." –L.J.

9/8
Oakland: Shapeshifters Cinema
http://shapeshifterscinema.com/
8-9PM, Temescal Art Center, 511 48th St, Oakland, CA

 SHAPESHIFTERS CINEMA PRESENTS DYEMARK
  dyemark is Steven Dye, a multi-disciplinary artist working with sound,
  projection, and live performance. Much of his work is collaborative,
  incorporating musical and theatrical performance, live accompaniment for
  film, instrument building, field recordings, found footage, camera-less
  film making and expanded cinema techniques, and includes site specific
  sound and light installations. His work can be described as a direct
  engagement with the materials and apparatus of sound and projection.
  Developing dynamic compositions by manipulating sound and light to
  explore the relationships between what we hear and what we see. Steve
  Dye is a member of the performing arts groups Wet Gate, and
  Epic[Abridged], and is a frequent contributor to the Illuminated
  Corridor project.

9/8
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Toronto International Film Festival
7pm, Jackman Hall

 WAVELENGTHS 3: FARTHER THAN THE EYE CAN SEE
  A sense of geographic, spatial and historical freefall attends this
  programme of works that takes its title from Basma Alsharif's video.
  Visually gripping and intelligently constructed, Farther Than the Eye
  Can See continues Alsharif's essayistic explorations of statelessness
  through a tale of a mass exodus of Palestinians from Jerusalem recounted
  over a dense, stroboscopic cityscape. A different stroboscopic effect is
  achieved in Philipp Fleischmann's Main Hall, which uses nineteen
  specially designed cameras to record the space inside the main
  exhibition hall of the Vienna Secession. While this bastion of modernity
  has been crucial to the development of Minimalism and Conceptual Art,
  film has eluded its mandate; Main Hall adds a purely cinematographic
  gesture (à la Gordon Matta-Clark) to the space's history by having it
  look at its own architecture. Overlapping light and space continue in
  Tomonari Nishikawa's 45 7 Broadway, which captures the paralyzing pace
  and conflicting rhythms of Times Square. Shot on black-and-white 16mm
  through red, green and blue filters, then optically printed onto colour
  film through these same filters, 45 7 Broadway is less jazzy than
  Mondrian's Broadway Boogie Woogie but equally eyepopping in its colour
  and illusionistic effect. With a focus on a decidedly less populated
  though uncanny urbanscape, in Bann Nina Könnemann clandestinelyobserves
  the increasingly ostracized smokers in London's financial district, her
  keen eye and mischievous editing creating a portrait of alienation,
  self-consciousness, and perhaps even shame. A raw, personal,
  confessional narration undercuts the abstract images in Polish artist,
  musician and poet Wojciech Bakowski's interlaced video collage Suchy
  Pion. Condensing home videos into blocks of abstraction, Bakowski
  creates a startling account of depression, numbness and paradoxical
  lucidity. Sarah J. Christman continues her 16mm ecological studies with
  Gowanus Canal, in which contamination and compression of refuse intimate
  a stultifying state for one of the most polluted bodies of water in the
  United States. In Carlos Motta's award-winning Nefandus, a pristine
  flowing river in the Colombian Caribbean suppresses a tainted history of
  "wild" beauty and colonialist religious and sexual subjugation. An
  evocative essay on pre-conquest homoeroticism, Nefandus searches for
  traces of untold stories and stigmatized historical accounts.

9/8
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Toronto International Film Festival
1pm, TIFF Bell Lightbox 4

 THREE LANDSCAPES AND SONG AND SPRING
  As an antidote to the frenzied Festival pace, Wavelengths offers this
  all-silent programme — a diptych by Nathaniel Dorsky paired with the
  much-anticipated new film by Peter Hutton — to renew the senses and
  recalibrate the pulse. Films in Three Landscapes and Song and Spring.
  Three Landscapes: Peter Hutton Shot on 16mm, this wondrous silent film
  study from avant-garde master Peter Hutton (At Sea) observes human
  movement across three distinct landscapes: Detroit, along the Hudson
  River Valley and in the Dallol Depression in Ethiopia. Song: Nathaniel
  Dorsky Shot in San Francisco from autumn of last year through the winter
  solstice, Nathaniel Dorsky's Song evinces a cool, mysterious tone as it
  captures the pulse (supernal at 18fps) of the city. Spring: Nathaniel
  Dorsky Nathaniel Dorsky's Spring conjures an abundant return of light
  and a retreat into nature so dense and rich that the film itself becomes
  a sort of wondrous garden-verdant, incandescent, with startling bursts
  of colour.

-------------------------
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 9, 2013
-------------------------

9/9
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 LAWRENCE JORDAN PROGRAM 6
  BEYOND ENCHANTMENT (2010, 9 min) BLUE SKIES BEYOND THE LOOKING GLASS
  (2006, 17 min) MASQUERADE (1981, 5 min) ADAGIO (1981, 8 min) WINTER
  LIGHT (1983, 9 min) COSMIC ALCHEMY (2010, 23 min) Total running time:
  ca. 75 min

9/9
San Francisco, California: Emerald Tablet Gallery
www.emtab.org
7pm, 80 Fresno Alley (off Grant  in North Beach)

 FILMS BY DOMINIC ANGERAME PART I
  The Emerald Tablet presents the films of Dominic Angerame Part I. This
  is a benefit screening and a donation of $5 or more is requested (de
  riguer). Funds collected are to help with the travel expenses to Cuab
  where Dominic will present several screenings in December of
  experimental/avant garde films at the Internacional del Nuevo Cine
  Latinamericano. Film titles in the program are short works made between
  1980-2000. For exact titles contact domi...@cinemod.net

9/9
Toronto, Ontario, Canada: Toronto International Film Festival
7:30pm, Jackman Hall

 WAVELENGTHS 4: ELYSIUM
  Beginning with the ruins of a Greek Byzantine church and ending with
  trance rituals in Burma, this programme sketches a trajectory of
  shifting perspectives and iconographic references, from the cloistered
  and intimate to the expansive and unrestrained. Nick Collins' Trissákia
  3 documents the eponymous c. thirteenth century Greek church, its
  cracked though surprisingly intact frescoes, its crumbling stones and
  the dubious scaffolding that encases it, his camera revelling in the
  supernal beauty created by the light and shadow play resulting from its
  damaged openings. Delineated views similarly make up Chris Kennedy's
  Brimstone Line, in which three freestanding grids placed along the
  Credit River in rural Ontario (reminiscent of the Dürer Grid used by
  Renaissance draughtsmen in order to achieve accurate proportions) become
  devices through which the stationary camera frames the landscape and
  motivates a series of zooms. Ostensibly a portrait of a place where the
  artist had resided until recently, the new film by Robert Beavers
  conjures not only the memory but also the physical presence of those who
  have previously stayed there. Adhering to a solitary intimacy while
  simultaneously acting as an ode to human endeavour and shared impulses
  toward fulfillment through art, Listening to the Space in my room is a
  moving testament to existence (whose traces are found in literature,
  music, filmmaking, gardening) and our endless search for meaning and
  authenticity. The film's precise yet enigmatic sound-image construction
  carries a rare emotional weight. A strange yet familiar sense of place
  dominates Shambhavi Kaul's deceptively disorienting and visually
  entrancing Mount Song. As a wild, foreboding gust courses through the
  night, a subdued elegance is brought forth from past cinema spectacles,
  whose generic albeit highly suggestive set constructions remain lodged
  in our imaginary. In Natpwe, the feast of the spirits, co-directors
  Tiane Doan na Champassak and Jean Dubrel have produced an immersive,
  seemingly timeless document of an annual Burmese trance ritual that
  dates back to the eleventh century. Shot in Super 8 and 16mm in sooty
  black and white, the film conveys the astonishing sense of liberation of
  tens of thousands of bodies and minds — a mass expression of faith, but
  also a rapturous respite from societal intolerance.

---------------------------
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 10, 2013
---------------------------

9/10
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
7:30 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 LAWRENCE JORDAN PROGRAM 7
  ANCESTORS (1978, 5 min) POSTCARD FROM SAN MIGUEL (1996, 8 min) THE
  APPARITION (1976, 50 min) Total running time: ca. 70 min

-----------------------------
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 11, 2013
-----------------------------

9/11
Boston, MA: MassART FILM SOCIETY
8pm, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, 621 Huntington Avenue

 BANG
  MASSART FILM SOCIETY FALL 2013, presents BANG - Program: - REPORT by
  Bruce Conner 1963-1967 11 min - CROSSROADS by Bruce Conner 1976 36 min -
  THE END by Christopher Maclaine 1953 35 min - COSMIC RAY by Bruce Conner
  1962 4.5 min - MEDITATION ON VIOLENCE by Maya Deren 1948 11 min - THE
  MAN WHO INVENTED GOLD by Christopher Maclaine 1957 14 min - MASSART FILM
  SOCIETY, Programmed by Saul Levine, FILM SOCIETY is a screening class
  for MassArt film students open to those who are interested. We hope to
  provide access to films and videos not often shown at other venues. -
  Massachusetts College of Art & Design, Film Department Screening RM
  1 | 621 Huntington Ave. Boston MA 02115, Enter MASSART through the South
  Building, Admissions, on Huntington Ave. Suggested donation is $4 at the
  door and free to the MassArt community with their ID. Donations are used
  to give visiting artist something for their expenses of coming to show
  their work. - http://massartfilmsociety.blogspot.com/

--------------------------
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2013
--------------------------

9/13
Houston, Texas: Aurora Picture Show
http://www.aurorapictureshow.org
7:30 p.m., 2442 Bartlett Street, Houston TX

 STOP & GO 3-D
  Stop & Go 3-D features a new series of stop-motion animations by 27
  contemporary visual artists and filmmakers from around the world. The
  program dramatically plays with our visual senses through the artist's
  use of strobing effects, afterimages, anaglyphic experiments, optical
  elements and three-dimensional spoofs. The animations in this program
  were chosen from a world-wide open call for submissions and by
  invitation. Four of the animations in the program require the audience
  to wear red/cyan-colored glasses to fully engage with the work.
  Filmmakers include Jeanne Stern, Sarah Klein, Santiago Caicedo de Roux,
  among others. Special thanks to Saint Arnold Brewery for their support
  of this program. www.stopandgoshow.com

9/13
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 AMY HALPERN'S ASSORTED MORSELS
  $5 / Assorted Morsels (2012). A suite of short 16mm films, including
  Injury on a Theme, Elixir, and Three Minute Hells.

----------------------------
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2013
----------------------------

9/14
Austin, TX: Experimental Response Cinema
http://ercatx.org
1:00pm, Alamo Drafthouse  Ritz, 320 E. 6th St.

 STAN BRAKHAGE'S THE ART OF VISION
  Experimental Response Cinema and the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz are excited
  to present a very special screening of Stan Brakhage's The Art of
  Vision! Rarely screened, The Art of Vision is Brakhage's longest work,
  in an oeuvre that spans over 300 films. Titled after Bach's The Art of
  the Fugue, The Art of Vision is a "full extension of the singularly
  visible themes" of Brakhage's own Dog Star Man. Newly restored by the
  Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, come see the film which the
  poet Robert Kelly said was "…a new continent of the
  eye's sway. Mind at the mercy of the eye at last." - The Art of Vision,
  270 min / 16mm / silent / 1961-1965 - "The Art of Vision includes the
  complete Dog Star Man and is a full extension of the singularly visible
  themes of it. Inspired by that period of music in which the word
  symphonia was created and by the thought that the term, as then, was
  created to name the overlap and enmeshing of suites, this film presents
  the visual symphony that Dog Star Man can be seen as and also all the
  suites of which it is composed. But as it is a film, not work of music,
  the above suggests only one of the possible approaches to it. For
  instance, as "cinematographer," at source, means "writer of movement"
  certain poetic analogies might serve as well. The form is conditioned by
  the works of arts which have inspired Dog Star Man, its growth of form
  by the physiology and experiences (including experiences of art) of the
  man who made it. Finally it must be seen for what it is." – Stan
  Brakhage

9/14
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 AMY HALPERN'S FALLING LESSONS
  Falling Lessons (1992). All the eye contact you can stand. "A healing
  film…. All the people in the film seem naked." –Ornette Coleman.

9/14
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30, 993 Valencia St.

 GOOGLE AND THE WORLD BRAIN + MANNING + ARCHIMEDIA +
  Simultaneously amazed and daunted by the Orwellian effects of a wired
  matrix that's expanding at the speed of light, The World Brain exposes
  Google's master plan to scan every book in the world…and the people
  trying to stop it. In person, Archimedia (David Cox & Molly Hankwitz)
  demonstrate the history of Google Glass™, from Steve Mann's
  sousveillance to an Augmented Reality that is becoming an integral part
  of today's urban experience. Linking these networks of knowledge to the
  military arena, Wikileaks:The Forgotten Man explores the netcentric
  politics of Bradley/Chelsea Manning's whistle-blowing. PLUS former San
  Franciscan Laura Poitras and ex-OC aide Jenny Perlin's leaked video of
  Manning's Fort Meade testimony. information wars

--------------------------
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2013
--------------------------

9/15
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
6:45 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 HEAVEN AND EARTH MAGIC
  by Harry Smith 1950-61, 66 min, 16mm, b&w This screening is part of:
  JOHN ZORN SELECTS Preserved by Anthology Film Archives with support from
  the National Film Preservation Foundation and Cineric, Inc. The sound
  design on NO. 12 is hypnotic, brilliant, curious, fantastic, and this is
  one of my very favorite films of all time. After dozens of viewings,
  it's hard to decide which is more musical – the soundtrack of sound
  effects or the images themselves. Magic indeed! & Chuck Jones THERE THEY
  GO-GO-GO! (1956, 7 min, 35mm) Carl Stalling worked on cartoon music for
  Warner Brothers for decades, creating some of the most original and
  experimental music of the mid-20th century. It is also the music of the
  American subconscious. Although he wrote brilliant scores for Bugs
  Bunny, Elmer Fudd, and Daffy Duck cartoons, his scores for the Road
  Runner series are particularly powerful because they feature his work
  undisturbed by talking of any kind. I used to tape these off TV back in
  the 70s and transcribe them. A master of "Mickey Mousing" (following and
  illustrating the visual action), his scores take on a whole new level of
  meaning when separated from the images and have been a huge influence on
  my technique of jump-cutting with block forms, collaging different
  genres into a single composition, and using musical time in a new and
  revolutionary way – where more traditional musical 'sense' takes a back
  seat to telling a story. Hilarious program music that changed my life. &
  Stephen Pouliot THE DREAMER THAT REMAINS (1974, 27 min, 35mm) Harry
  Partch was a major influence and a pioneer of the DIY aesthetic,
  creating his own tuning theories, his own instruments, and his own
  unique notational systems, as well as releasing his own music on his own
  label, Gate 5. Also a great cook who made rose petal jam, Partch is a
  hero who rightfully belongs in this series, and the music he composed
  for this mini documentary is gorgeous – some of his very best!

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

The weekly listing is also available online at Flicker:
http://www.hi-beam.net