This week [September 14 - 20, 2013] in avant garde cinema

To subscribe/unsubscribe to the weekly listing, go to
http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/mailto.pl?mailto=subscribe
or send an email to weeklylist...@hi-beam.net.

Enter your announcements (calls for entries, new work, screenings,
jobs, items for sale, etc.) at:

http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl

NEW FILM/VIDEO: NON-FEATURE:
===========================
"Almost there" by Kim Collmer
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=newwork&readfile=526.ann

NEW CALLS FOR ENTRIES:
=====================
Strange Beauty Film Festival (Durham, NC USA; Deadline: March 01, 2014)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1626.ann
Open City Cinema (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; Deadline: October 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1627.ann
Exuberant Politics (Iowa City, IA, USA; Deadline: December 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1628.ann
21st Chicago Underground Film Festival (Chicago, Illinois, USA; Deadline:
December 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1629.ann

DEADLINES APPROACHING:
======================
PCPC Arts Festival (Dallas, Texas, USA; Deadline: September 30, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1576.ann
Beloit International Film Festival (Beloit, WI, USA; Deadline: October 19, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1590.ann
Chicago 8 Small Gauge Film Festival (Chicago, IL, USA; Deadline: September 15,
2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1602.ann
ARTErra - Rural Artistic Residencies Portugal (Tondela, Portugal; Deadline:
September 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1607.ann
Last 2013 Call for Artists (multidisciplinary) (Tondela, Portugal; Deadline:
September 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1609.ann
LITTLE SCUZZY FILM FEST (Carbondale, IL, USA; Deadline: October 10, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1611.ann
Experimental Documentaries (new york, NY; Deadline: October 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1612.ann
RICHMOND RADICALS (Richmond, VA usa; Deadline: October 18, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1622.ann
Plug Projects (Kansas City, MO. 64108; Deadline: October 01, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1623.ann
Open City Cinema (Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada; Deadline: October 15, 2013)
 http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/ann.pl?type=calls&readfile=1627.ann

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

Also available online at Flicker: http://www.hi-beam.net

THIS WEEK'S PROGRAMS (SUMMARY):
==============================
 *  Stan Brakhage's the Art of vision [September 14, Austin, TX]
 *  Amy Halpern's Falling Lessons [September 14, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Google and the World Brain + Manning + Archimedia +         [September 14,
San Francisco, California]
 *  I Wanted To See How I Lived, I Wanted To Love Myself and My Past. A
    Tribute To Anne Charlotte Robertson [September 15, Cambridge, Massachusetts]
 *  Heaven and Earth Magic [September 15, New York, New York]
 *  Millennium Presents: Hellzapoppin' [September 15, New York, New York]
 *  I Wanted To See How I Lived, I Wanted To Love Myself and My Past. A
    Tribute To Anne Charlotte Robertson [September 16, Cambridge, Massachusetts]
 *  Films By Dominic Angerame Part ii [September 16, San Francisco, California]
 *  20 Years of Cuff At Spectacle [September 17, Brooklyn, NY]
 *  Consuming Spirits (2012) By Chris Sullivan [September 17, Cambridge,
Massachusetts]
 *  The 8th Film-Maker's Coop Benefit Concert and Art Auction [September 17,
New York, NY]
 *  Stop & Go 3-D [September 18, Austin, TX]
 *  Focus Group: Films and videos By Michael Robinson [September 19, Austin, TX]
 *  An Evening With Ximena Cuevas [September 19, Chicago, Illinois]
 *  Gems From the Archive [September 19, Los Angeles, California]
 *  Frenkel Defects - Edition I : Process Reversal [September 20, Brooklyn, New
York]
 *  Noise Screening [September 20, New York, NY]
 *  Takahiko iimura: Films and Performance [September 20, New York, New York]

Events are sorted by CITY within each DATE.

----------------------------
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 14, 2013
----------------------------

9/14
Austin, TX: Experimental Response Cinema
http://ercatx.org
1:00pm, Alamo Drafthouse  Ritz, 320 E. 6th St.

 STAN BRAKHAGE'S THE ART OF VISION
  Experimental Response Cinema and the Alamo Drafthouse Ritz are excited
  to present a very special screening of Stan Brakhage's The Art of
  Vision! Rarely screened, The Art of Vision is Brakhage's longest work,
  in an oeuvre that spans over 300 films. Titled after Bach's The Art of
  the Fugue, The Art of Vision is a "full extension of the singularly
  visible themes" of Brakhage's own Dog Star Man. Newly restored by the
  Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, come see the film which the
  poet Robert Kelly said was "…a new continent of the
  eye's sway. Mind at the mercy of the eye at last." - The Art of Vision,
  270 min / 16mm / silent / 1961-1965 - "The Art of Vision includes the
  complete Dog Star Man and is a full extension of the singularly visible
  themes of it. Inspired by that period of music in which the word
  symphonia was created and by the thought that the term, as then, was
  created to name the overlap and enmeshing of suites, this film presents
  the visual symphony that Dog Star Man can be seen as and also all the
  suites of which it is composed. But as it is a film, not work of music,
  the above suggests only one of the possible approaches to it. For
  instance, as "cinematographer," at source, means "writer of movement"
  certain poetic analogies might serve as well. The form is conditioned by
  the works of arts which have inspired Dog Star Man, its growth of form
  by the physiology and experiences (including experiences of art) of the
  man who made it. Finally it must be seen for what it is." – Stan
  Brakhage

9/14
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 AMY HALPERN'S FALLING LESSONS
  Falling Lessons (1992). All the eye contact you can stand. "A healing
  film…. All the people in the film seem naked." –Ornette Coleman.

9/14
San Francisco, California: Other Cinema
http://www.othercinema.com/
8:30, 993 Valencia St.

 GOOGLE AND THE WORLD BRAIN + MANNING + ARCHIMEDIA +
  Simultaneously amazed and daunted by the Orwellian effects of a wired
  matrix that's expanding at the speed of light, The World Brain exposes
  Google's master plan to scan every book in the world…and the people
  trying to stop it. In person, Archimedia (David Cox & Molly Hankwitz)
  demonstrate the history of Google Glass™, from Steve Mann's
  sousveillance to an Augmented Reality that is becoming an integral part
  of today's urban experience. Linking these networks of knowledge to the
  military arena, Wikileaks:The Forgotten Man explores the netcentric
  politics of Bradley/Chelsea Manning's whistle-blowing. PLUS former San
  Franciscan Laura Poitras and ex-OC aide Jenny Perlin's leaked video of
  Manning's Fort Meade testimony. information wars

--------------------------
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 15, 2013
--------------------------

9/15
Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard Film Archive
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa
7pm, 24 Quincy Street

 I WANTED TO SEE HOW I LIVED, I WANTED TO LOVE MYSELF AND MY PAST. A
 TRIBUTE TO ANNE CHARLOTTE ROBERTSON
  Influenced by filmmakers as diverse as Ed Pincus and Carolee Schneemann,
  Anne Charlotte Robertson (1949 – 2012) was a Boston area Super 8
  filmmaker who examined and shared her life through her work – a mix of
  essay, performance and stop-motion animation. Anne completed her
  graduate degree at Massachusetts College of Art in the 1980s – honing
  her filmmaking skills under the tutelage of Saul Levine. Diagnosed with
  various and changing mental disorders, Anne faced several breakdowns and
  mental hospitals – experiences she documented and exorcised thoroughly
  through her films – particularly within the annals of Five Year Diary
  (1981-1997), a project spanning nearly two decades. Though relentlessly
  intense and emotional, her films are not entirely bleak, for her bracing
  self-awareness and humor energize and bring a rare effulgence to the
  depths of her darkest moments. Anne boldly exposed her most intimate and
  obsessive inner dialogues – from illness, breakdowns and longing for
  love to diets, cats and the minutia of existence. She also considered
  the filmmaking experience therapeutic and cited the process as helping
  cure her depression. Anne died of cancer September 15, 2012 leaving
  behind an archive of a life passionately examined, primarily through the
  rough warmth of Super 8. Most of her work was created on Super 8 sound
  film featuring a soundtrack on the film, with additional audio on
  cassette and narrated live by Anne, creating many layers of sound and
  story. The original materials have been digitally transferred and are
  presented here on DigiBeta. The Harvard Film Archive, home to the Anne
  Charlotte Robertson Collection, is honored to pay tribute, over the
  course of two evenings, to the vivid insights and imagination of a
  pioneer of experimental first-person cinema. – Liz Coffey, HFA Film
  Conservator Apologies I apologize for everything; another exercise in
  self-therapy. – Anne Charlotte Robertson US 1986, digital video, color,
  17 min Talking to Myself Double-exposed self faces self, wrangling,
  complaining, trying to hear oneself think. – ACR US 1985, digital video,
  color, 3 min Locomotion Overdoses, breakdown, and rage at system in a
  stylized mental hospital isolation room. – ACR US 1981, digital video,
  color, 7 min Five Year Diary, Reel 22: A Short Affair and Going Crazy US
  1982, digital video, color, 27 min Five Year Diary, Reel 23: A Breakdown
  and After the Mental Hospital US 1928, digital video, color, 27 min

9/15
New York, New York: Anthology Film Archives
http://www.anthologyfilmarchives.org/
6:45 pm, 32 2nd Avenue

 HEAVEN AND EARTH MAGIC
  by Harry Smith 1950-61, 66 min, 16mm, b&w This screening is part of:
  JOHN ZORN SELECTS Preserved by Anthology Film Archives with support from
  the National Film Preservation Foundation and Cineric, Inc. The sound
  design on NO. 12 is hypnotic, brilliant, curious, fantastic, and this is
  one of my very favorite films of all time. After dozens of viewings,
  it's hard to decide which is more musical – the soundtrack of sound
  effects or the images themselves. Magic indeed! & Chuck Jones THERE THEY
  GO-GO-GO! (1956, 7 min, 35mm) Carl Stalling worked on cartoon music for
  Warner Brothers for decades, creating some of the most original and
  experimental music of the mid-20th century. It is also the music of the
  American subconscious. Although he wrote brilliant scores for Bugs
  Bunny, Elmer Fudd, and Daffy Duck cartoons, his scores for the Road
  Runner series are particularly powerful because they feature his work
  undisturbed by talking of any kind. I used to tape these off TV back in
  the 70s and transcribe them. A master of "Mickey Mousing" (following and
  illustrating the visual action), his scores take on a whole new level of
  meaning when separated from the images and have been a huge influence on
  my technique of jump-cutting with block forms, collaging different
  genres into a single composition, and using musical time in a new and
  revolutionary way – where more traditional musical 'sense' takes a back
  seat to telling a story. Hilarious program music that changed my life. &
  Stephen Pouliot THE DREAMER THAT REMAINS (1974, 27 min, 35mm) Harry
  Partch was a major influence and a pioneer of the DIY aesthetic,
  creating his own tuning theories, his own instruments, and his own
  unique notational systems, as well as releasing his own music on his own
  label, Gate 5. Also a great cook who made rose petal jam, Partch is a
  hero who rightfully belongs in this series, and the music he composed
  for this mini documentary is gorgeous – some of his very best!

9/15
New York, New York: Millennium Film Workshop
http://www.millenniumfilm.org/
6:00, 119 Ingraham

 MILLENNIUM PRESENTS: HELLZAPOPPIN'
  Millennium Presents: Hellzapoppin' Headlining is Stopping the Show, the
  first Betty Boop creation to be given full credit as a "Betty Boop
  Cartoon" (previously Ms. Boop had only provided back-up in other
  features). Stopping the Show (1932, dir. Dave Fleischer, 8 min.)
  features Ms. Boop showing off her incredible vocal talents (including
  impressions of her inspiration Helen Kane, Fanny Brice and Maurice
  Chevalier) while of course exuding the characteristic sexual charm that
  highlighted her performances before the Production Code of 1934 got to
  her! Following Ms. Boop's show stopper, we will actually continue the
  show by taking a plunge into the underworld, or at least into
  questionable comedy, with Hellzapoppin' (1941, dir. H.C. Potter, 84
  min.). Based on a successful 4th-wall-busting Broadway musical,
  Hellzapoppin' features stage actors Ole Olsen and Chic Johnson, singer
  Martha Raye, Hugh Herbert (whose laugh inspired Daffy Duck's notable
  guffaw), tons of visual gags, and a much-talked-about Lindy Hop scene.
  Hellzapoppin' defied the odds when it was nominated for an Academy Award
  for the song "Pig Foot Pete" - mostly because that song was actually
  used in the Abbott & Costello film Keep 'Em Tryin', which also employed
  Martha Raye and the Hellzapoppin'songwriters Hellzapoppin'walked away
  Oscar-less that year, but its riffs and jabs live on! Location: Brooklyn
  Fireproof gallery 119 Ingraham (ground level near the cafe) 6pm $8
  Suggested Donation

--------------------------
MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 16, 2013
--------------------------

9/16
Cambridge, Massachusetts: Harvard Film Archive
http://hcl.harvard.edu/hfa
7pm, 24 Quincy Street

 I WANTED TO SEE HOW I LIVED, I WANTED TO LOVE MYSELF AND MY PAST. A
 TRIBUTE TO ANNE CHARLOTTE ROBERTSON
  Subways Lightshow in public transit tunnels, patterns and flashes,
  screeching and bells. – ACR US 1976, digital video, color, 13 min Going
  to Work  Daily morning trudge and trolley through snow and ice; pigeons,
  other winter beauties. – ACR US 1981, digital video, color, 7 min My Cat
  My Garden and 9/11 My adored cat Zouina died a week before the tragedy;
  a week after, my garden died. – ACR US 2001, digital video, color, 6 min
  Five Year Diary, Reel 80 – Emily Died (second edit) US 1994, digital
  video, color, 27 min Five Year Diary, Reel 81 – Mourning Emily  US 1995,
  digital video, color, 27 min

9/16
San Francisco, California: Emerald Tablet Gallery
www.emtab.org
7PM, 80 Fresno Alley (off Grant  in North Beach)

 FILMS BY DOMINIC ANGERAME PART II
  The Emerald Tablet presents the films of Dominic Angerame Part II. This
  is a benefit screening and a donation of $5 or more is requested (de
  riguer). Funds collected are to help with the travel expenses to Cuba
  where Dominic will present several screenings in December of
  experimental/avant garde films at the Internacional del Nuevo Cine
  Latinamericano. Film titles in this program will include the complete
  City Symphony Series and a sound version of The Soul of Things. For
  exact titles contact domi...@cinemod.net

---------------------------
TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17, 2013
---------------------------

9/17
Brooklyn, NY: Chicago Underground Film Festival
8pm, Spectacle Theater, 124 S. 3rd Street

 20 YEARS OF CUFF AT SPECTACLE
  20 YEARS OF CUFF, Chicago Underground Film Festival is the longest
  running underground film festival in the world. Founded the same year as
  the now defunct NYUFF, it remains a vibrant & evolving home for
  radically dissenting filmmaking, and the defining example for
  underground film events all over the world. This program brings together
  legendary shorts from the festival's first twenty years. - LINEUP &
  NOTES FROM FESTIVAL DIRECTOR BRYAN WENDORF: LIGHT FUSE GET AWAY Dir.
  Ivan Lerner, 1994, 17 min. MONDAY 9:02 AM Dir. Tyler Hubby, 1995, 11
  min. CLIT-O-MATIC: THE ADVENTURES OF WHITE TRASH GIRL Dir. Jennifer
  Reeder, 1996, 8 min. DANCE HABIBI DANCE Dir. Usama Alshaibi, 1998, 3
  min. MEAT FUCKER Dir. Shawn Durr, 1999, 32 min. THE BATS Dir. Jim
  Trainor, 1999, 8 min. THE PSYCHOTIC ODYSSEY OF RICHARD CHASE Dir. Carey
  Burtt , 1999, 6 min. THE FABULOUS STAINS: BEHIND THE MOVIE Dir. Sarah
  Jacobson & Sam Green, 2000, 11 min. WUSTENSPRINGMAUS Dir. Jim Finn,
  2002, 3 min. AMERICA'S BIGGEST DICK Dir. Bryan Boyce, 2005, 4 min. HOLD
  ME NOW Dir. Michael Robinson 2008, 5 min. THE ETERNAL QUARTER INCH Dir.
  Jesse McLean, 2008, 9 min THIS IS MY SHOW Dir. Lori Felker, 2009, 15
  min. THE STORY OF THE EYE Dir. Nicole Jefferson Asher, 2012, 12 min.

9/17
Cambridge, Massachusetts: Balagan
http://www.balaganfilms.com
7:30pm, Brattle Theatre

 CONSUMING SPIRITS (2012) BY CHRIS SULLIVAN
  We are proud to present Chris Sullivan, in person, with the long-awaited
  animated feature, Consuming Spirits. Made over the course of nearly
  fifteen years and shot frame by frame on 16mm film (though presented on
  video), it is a strange, hypnotic journey into the small-town lives of
  Earl Gray, Gentian Violet, and Victor Blue -- "ugly characters [who]
  make up the most beautiful spectacle you've ever seen." (Huffington
  Post)

9/17
New York, NY: Filmmakers Co-op
7:00pm, Santos Party House, 96 Lafayette Street

 THE 8TH FILM-MAKER'S COOP BENEFIT CONCERT AND ART AUCTION
  The Film-Makers' Cooperative is pleased to announce our 8th Annual Music
  and Film Benefit at Santos Party House! Includes amazing art works for
  auction. - For this year's benefit, the Coop will feature a host of
  talented and renowned artists & musicians. - Music by: Philip Glass,
  Elliott Sharp, Optipus & ESP-TV, Jaded Lover, Liquid Blonde,
  Transgendered Jesus - Art works by: Tom Otterness, Carolee Schneemann,
  Coleen Fitzgibbon, Jonas Mekas, Bradley Eros, Ken Jacobs, Takahiko
  Iimura, Molly Surno, Paul Sharits, MM Serra - & others!

-----------------------------
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 18, 2013
-----------------------------

9/18
Austin, TX: Woman And Their Work
http://www.womenandtheirwork.org/
7:00 p.m., 1710 Lavaca Street, Austin, TX 78701

 STOP & GO 3-D
  Stop & Go 3-D features a new series of stop-motion animations by 27
  contemporary visual artists and filmmakers from around the world. The
  program dramatically plays with our visual senses through the artist's
  use of strobing effects, afterimages, anaglyphic experiments, optical
  elements and three-dimensional spoofs. The animations in this program
  were chosen from a world-wide open call for submissions and by
  invitation. Four of the animations in the program require the audience
  to wear red/cyan-colored glasses to fully engage with the work.
  Filmmakers include Jeanne Stern, Sarah Klein, Santiago Caicedo de Roux,
  among others. www.stopandgoshow.com

----------------------------
THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19, 2013
----------------------------

9/19
Austin, TX: Experimental Response Cinema
http://ercatx.org
7 & 9pm, UT Art Building, Room 1.102

 FOCUS GROUP: FILMS AND VIDEOS BY MICHAEL ROBINSON
  Experimental Response Cinema and Focus Group present an evening of
  recent film and video work by New York-based artist Michael Robinson.
  Blurring public and personal memory, while borrowing the formalism of
  structural film and the emotional cues of pop songs, Robinson's work
  explores the joys and dangers of mediated experiences and the fine line
  between nostalgia and contempt. Robinson will be in attendance for an
  introduction and post-screening Q&A during each presentation. -
  Michael Robinson is a film and video artist living and working in West
  Danby, New York. He received his BFA from Ithaca College in 2003 and MFA
  from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2007. His films and videos
  have screened internationally at the 2012 Whitney Biennial,
  International Film Festival Rotterdam, REDCAT Los Angeles, and Wexner
  Center for the Arts. Film Comment magazine listed him as one of the top
  ten avant-garde filmmakers of the 2000s. - PROGRAM ONE, 7pm | 71 min: -
  And We All Shine On (2006, 7:00, 16mm) - These Hammers Don't Hurt Us
  (2010, 12:45, DV) - The General Returns from One (2006, 10:45, DV) -
  Hold Me Now (2008, 5:00, DV) - Light is Waiting (2007, 11:20, DV) - If
  There Be Thorns (2009, 13:20, DV) - All Through the Night (2008, 4:20,
  DV) - Line Describing Your Mom (2011, 6:00, DV) - PROGRAM TWO, 9pm | 67
  min: - Victory Over the Sun (2007, 12.30, 16mm) - Circle in the Sand
  (2012, 45:45, HD) - You Don't Bring Me Flowers (2005, 8:00, 16mm)

9/19
Chicago, Illinois: Conversations at the Edge
http://www.saic.edu/cate
6:00 pm, Gene Siskel Film Center / 164 N. State St.

 AN EVENING WITH XIMENA CUEVAS
  Pioneering Mexican video artist Ximena Cuevas creates smart, playful
  works that mix performance, autobiography, and mass-media's excesses to
  explore national identity, celebrity star worship, and life's everyday
  melodramas. Organized in celebration of the Video Data Bank's release of
  Cuevas's retrospective box-set Half-Lies, the artist screens a selection
  of videos made over the past decade, including the 2010 experimental
  biography Marina Abramović, From Tuesday to Friday. Co-presented by
  the Video Data Bank. 2003–10, Mexico, multiple formats, ca 75 min +
  discussion

9/19
Los Angeles, California: Echo Park Film Center
http://www.echoparkfilmcenter.org/
8 pm, 1200 N. Alvarado St (at Sunset)

 GEMS FROM THE ARCHIVE
  $5 / Film collector Russell Harnden is back with another screening of
  Gems from the Archives a film series devoted to obscure and outdated
  ephemeral films drawn from his personal collection of cartoons,
  educational, and industrial films. A sampling of these wonderful films
  from the 40's, 50's, and 60's will be pulled from the vault and screened
  during an evening that's sure to stimulate your mind and make you
  chuckle at the same time. Join us and watch as a devoted wife helps her
  husband keep his job in The Boss Comes to Dinner, an army of
  germ-fighting troops are deployed to fight the evil enemy of venereal
  disease in V.D. Attack Plan, and see what happens when basic forklift
  safety tips and common sense are ignored in The Color of Danger. There
  will be many more great titles as well. Taken VERY seriously when these
  films were made, today they now serve as campy, nostalgic reminders of a
  simpler time. So be sure to join us for a fun and "educational" evening!

--------------------------
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2013
--------------------------

9/20
Brooklyn, New York: MONO NO AWARE
https://www.facebook.com/events/611756465542971/
7 PM , Microscope Gallery - 4 Charles Pl, Brooklyn, NY 11221

 FRENKEL DEFECTS - EDITION I : PROCESS REVERSAL
  MONO NO AWARE & Microscope Gallery co-present :" Frenkel Defects -
  Edition I : Process Reversal" Frenkel Defects is an intermittent, mobile
  film program focusing on film works from among artist run film labs and
  film collectives. Edition I : Process Reversal focuses on the work made
  by members of ProcessReversal.org, Double Negative, HandMade FIlm
  Institute, and Cherry Kino. The screening will include works on film by
  the following artists: Sarah Biagini, Nicolas Rey, Andrew Busti, Taylor
  Dunne, Philipe Leonard, Martha Jurksaitis, Robert Schaller, & Kevin
  Rice. Kevin Rice will in attendance for Q & A after the screening and
  will be leading a workshop with MONO NO AWARE on Hand-made emulsion
  techniques September 22nd
  (http://mononoawarefilm.com/workshop/2013/09/handmade-emulsion-workshop/
  ) Program notes below. Sarah Biagini and Philipe Leonard also in
  attendance. Edition I - Process Reversal: A short program of 16mm film
  works from the Process Reversal Collective and other artist-run film
  groups including l'Abominable (Paris, France) Cherry Kino (Leeds, UK),
  The Double Negative Collective (Montreal, PQ) and The Handmade Film
  Institute (Boulder, CO). Filmmakers including Sarah Biagini, Andrew
  Busti, Taylor Dunne, Martha Jurksaitis, Nicolas Rey, Kevin Rice, Robert
  Schaller & Philipe Leonard. FULL DETAILS here:
  http://mononoawarefilm.com/special-engagements/frenkel-defects/

9/20
New York, NY: Standby Prog
7:00pm, 1 East 53rd Street, 10th floor

 NOISE SCREENING
  The Standby Program presents a FREE screening of NOISE by Zahra Partovi.
  - Noise is in search of that comforting noise of human industry, the
  sound of making things for good use, where harmonious music is heard in
  human noises, where we can dwell in inner peace in the presence of outer
  noise. - Zahra Partovi is a Tehran-born translator and filmmaker. She
  has authored fifteen publications of translations of Medieval Persian
  poetry and has collaborated with more than twenty visual artists as
  translator. Her writings have been published in limited-edition artist
  books by Vincent FitzGerald & Co. and are in the collections of
  major museums and libraries in the United States and Europe. Her films
  and installations have been shown at several art and film institutions
  in the United States.

9/20
New York, New York: Filmmakers Cooperative, New York
http://www.film-makerscoop.com
7:30pm, The Film-Makers' Cooperative 475 Park Ave South, 6th Floor New York, NY
10016

 TAKAHIKO IIMURA: FILMS AND PERFORMANCE
  A rare event of film and performace of Takahiko iimura in two parts
  presents the works from the 1970s. Using mostly clear and black frames
  or a certain length of leaders, I try to conceptualize the very basic of
  film components: light and darkness in terms of time experience coincide
  with the sound often punctuated by scratching on the track. Part 1
  Shutter(1971) 30min., Music:Keijiro Sato 2Minutes 46Seconds
  16Frames(100Feet)(1973) 9min, b/w, Sound : Takahiko iimura 24Frames Per
  Second(1975) 11min.b/w,Sound : Takahiko iimura One Frame
  Duration(1977) 11min, b/w, Sound :Takahiko iimura Part 2 Film
  Performance, Circle And Square(1975-2013) approx.15min. Performance:
  Takahiko iimura SHUTTER marks a further step in Iimura's developing
  interest in formal concerns. Using two projector speeds and various
  camera speeds, he photographed the light thrown onto a screen by a
  projector with no film running through it. Because of the disparities
  between the speeds of the camera and projector shutters, the resulting
  footage, which he printed first in positive, then in negative, creates a
  series of flicker effects. -- Scott MacDonald, Afterimage,1978 The music
  composed by Keijiro Sato is synchronized with the pulsation of light
  from the projector attaching the mike in front of the lens (T.I) Both in
  terms of its examination of time and space, of light and darkness, of
  visuals and sounds; and in terms of its demands and potential rewards
  for an audience, 24 Frames Per Second is a quintessential Iimura film.
  The film alternates between one-second passages during which the viewer
  sees one of a seriesof fractions and [with] one-second segments of black
  and clear leader. -Scott MacDonald The performance of "Circle and
  Square" sets a big black loop film hung from the ceiling and the
  performer keeps punching a big hole at a time on the film frame catching
  the loop in the middle while projecting at the same time the ever
  increasing big holes on the screen(or a white wall) intermittently. The
  performance ends when the loop breaks down and projects a square frame
  only. (T.I)

Enter your event announcements by going to the Flicker Weekly Listing Form
at http://www.hi-beam.net/cgi-bin/thisweek.pl

The weekly listing is also available online at Flicker:
http://www.hi-beam.net