Not a female artist, but I highly recommend the expanded cinema of Dirk de
Bruyn from Australia.  There is a good text on his work at Senses of Cinema.

Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:32:47 -0600
From: rabro...@gmail.com
To: frameworks@jonasmekasfilms.com
Subject: Re: [Frameworks] Installation works that incorporate hand-painted
film

Looks like the link I included was bad. Here's the correct one:
http://sheriwills.com/

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM, John Knecht <jkne...@colgate.edu> wrote:

Adam,

I work in multiple channel video installation as well as single channel, often
looped, pieces. All my work is hand drawn animation, beginning with paper on
pencil.   I just did a show two weeks ago at Union Docs in Brooklyn.  I have a
new piece which was installed at the Llwelyn Gallery at Alfred State College
this fall, titled "Considering the Probability of Divine Intervention".  The
piece consists of five 19" flatscreens with built in dvd players, displaying
five hand drawn animations, beginning with gouach on paper drawings,  of houses
intermittently rising off of their foundations.  When I showed it at the
Llewelyn Gallery I showed the original gouache paintings of each house which
are the same size as the video screens.  These are framed.  I own all the video
flat screen/dvd player displays.

I also currently have an exhibition at the Munson Williams Proctor Arts
Institute in Utica, NY,  of four panels from my  fifteen channel, video
animation "Fragments from the Wheels of Ezekiel"!  These four video animations,
displayed on flat screens have recently been purchased for the Institute's
permanent collection.
http://www.mwpai.org/museum-of-art/museum-of-art-calendar/new-funny-and-odd-videos-on-view/

Here are some images.  Check out my web site "johnknechtart.com".   I'd be glad
to send you a dvd documenting some of my installations and a reel of single
channel animation.

John Knecht
jkne...@colgate.edu