I would steer clear of iMacs for video editing, they are underpowered. If you want to render HD video, it's going to be slow and painful on even the high end iMacs. The Mac Pro is very fast, but very expensive. It is only available with small solid state drives, so you have to buy additional external hard drives.

Aaron

I disagree with $4000. A 21" iMac - what a school would likely be running Final Cut on - starts at $1299. I assume there are bulk discounts for schools, but they likely already have the computers.