Last Friday, I showed Paul Sharits' Shutter Interface here in Atlanta.
There is (as Sharits said of all his "locational" works) no "development"
in this piece; it's contemplative/meditative and consists of the patterns
of single-color frames and sonic tones all the way through. It simply ends
after twenty-four minutes. As a double-projector piece, it ensures that one
projector inevitably runs out a few seconds before the other - that's the
only variable I can think of in terms of an ending. Although for me, as the
film neared its end, it started becoming quite poignant and emotional.

I once showed Warhol's dual-projection Outer and Inner Space and a viewer
remarked that for him the tension of the piece came partly from wondering
which reel would run out first.

The most consistent structuring element in any given Warhol film (not only
the Screen Tests) is the length of the film reel - when that runs out, the
film is over (or we cut to the next reel). So his films almost always end
arbitrarily (sometimes long after the script has finished or the main
action is over; this happens again and again). This can actually make the
final words heard in a Warhol film more, not less, poignant or meaningful.
The final words in Beauty #2 and Nude Restaurant come to mind.

Michael Snow's So Is This ends mid-sentence: "This film will seem to end"...

Andy Ditzler