Roger:

We use horribly expensive film restoration software for dust-busting (as it’s
called in the trade).  It’s part of a package that costs more than a decent new
car, so I’m not recommending it for casual use.  (As a result my car is a 1995.)

It deals with both black and white dust and dirt (negative and positive), and
can manually deal with large splotches, too.  Doesn’t fix scratches, that’s a
few thousand dollars more!

Chemical stains require a different approach.  If the stains have a color to
them, it might be possible to partially mitigate them working from a color
scan, before removing all saturation.  You might have the lab “rewash” the film
— which is re-running it through the processing machine — this might help with
the stains depending on the cause.

Since this is new film, it may just need to be cleaned before scanning — or the
transfer facility needs to clean up their space.  We use 4 PTR rollers on our
scanner, which help capture most surface dust from the film (as long as the
rollers are kept clean).

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta

On Jun 26, 2014, at 8:04 AM, Roger Wilson <rogerdwil...@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> A few weeks back there was some conversation happening around removing dust
> marks from a digital transfer of film. I am wondering what processes were
> being suggested to use to remove the marks digitally. I recently shot a Super
> 16mm film for a fellow filmmaker and we just got the transfer back and it has
> lots of white dust marks on the transfer, there also appears to be some
> chemical stains on sections as well.We are planning on sending the film back
> to the lab to have it cleaned and re-transferred but in the case that some
> marks remain on the film I am wondering how we can deal with it and hopefully
> eliminate the problem. The shot images look awesome, with very sharp b&w
> contrast so it would be a real disappointment to have these dust marks on the
> final edit. I take huge steps in being sure the camera and mags are cleaned
> and prepped in between rolls, plus I do scratch tests on all new rolls being
> loaded in the camera. There is absolutely no scratches or build up of
> emulsion on frame lines so I can only think this is an error that has
> happened either during processing or transfer.
>
> Any assistance is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>

> Roger D. Wilson
> Film Scientist
> 613 324 - 7504
> rogerdwil...@sympatico.ca
> http://www.rogerdwilson.ca
>
> Without failure you can never achieve success. I have based my process and my
> career as an experimental film artist on this statement; and I welcome it as
> it pushes me forward as an artist to try something different, something new.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
j...@kinetta.com
kinetta.com