Thanks Kevin! This is exactly what I was looking for!
Roger

Sent from Outlook

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 1:37 PM -0700, "Kevin Rice" <ke...@processreversal.org>
wrote:
Roger,

They use gelatin which has been specifically manufactured to perform within
certain mechanical and optical standards. However, the process of getting
that layer to adhere to the base is, of course, the trick to proper
subbing. Such processes vary depending on the composition of the material
you are trying to sub. With cellulose (tri)acetate, the standard process is
to use a mixture of gelatin, tanning agents and a base solvent (for
example, acetone) that etch into the base and form a highly durable bound
between the gelatin and the base. Any gelatin can be used, but as mentioned
before, manufacturers will work closely with gelatin suppliers to achieve a
quality of gelatin that gives optimal subbing properties.

With PET (e.g. ESTAR et al), subbing is a more complicated affair because a
suitable solvent isn't readily available. Accordingly, manufacturers
developed a method of subbing that uses corona discharges to give the
polyester base a temporary affinity for bonding with gelatin. After
subjecting the base to this corona discharge, a mixture of gelatin and
hardener is coated unto the base to act as a subbing layer (typically, this
is done simultaneously with the actual emulsion layers in the cascade
coating systems).

I'm not familiar as to weather or not this method is still in use in
production at EK, but some folks have been experimenting with it on a
home-brew basis...check out this forum thread for more on this mad science:
http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/68928-corona-discharge-polyester-subbing.html

Cheers,

Kevin Rice
processreversal.org