There's also many more considerations in this question as we have found out
over the years.

As Andy points out, the Martin and Osa Johnson theatrical films have some
fairly racist elements to them. We released SIMBA as the most inoffensive
(and their most famous) film and worked with experts of the area to see
what they thought. Most times when we release these
documentaries/docudramas (and we have a lot of them in our Age of
Exploration series that is in its 25th year), it's that many of these films
are seen now -- even if they have white directors -- as literally home
movies. There are the great grandfathers, grand aunts that they have only
heard about or seen in pictures up on the screen. Over the years, we've had
hundreds of these phone calls from the children who are very thankful. That
doesn't excuse any racism -- though some should be seen in context of the
time they were made, we should also consider that they were racist even
back then -- but it does add a layer.

The second concept is that in these films, there are cultural artifacts
that are very valuable to their descendants. Some of the dances, the
rituals, the art have been lost to time and modernization while some were
outlawed. You can't understand them as well in photographs or writings from
the time. We have a film CHANG that a film historian insisted it was
racist. When I explained that it's a national treasure of Thailand (at the
time, this was 1994 or so) and that the King played it every year on
television since it was so popular, the historian declared that the people
of Thailand obviously didn't understand racism!

The third and most important concept is that some of these directors were
as "modern" as we are and as in love and respectful of the cultures and
people. It's always a mistake to consider previous generations as more
primitive or less socially aware. (We're not doing so great with race in
America these days either.) So! although the Martin and Osa theatrical
films did have some typical old tribesmen trying to play a phonograph or
open a bottle of beer (Flaherty started this with Nanook) because that's
what they thought the American public wanted, it's little known that they
also had at least six different version of the films and their "scientific"
versions that they did for the American Museum of Natural History are
incredible records of "lost" tribes and rituals. You can see the love they
have for the African tribes in these films and in their huge number of
photographs (many of their trips were sponsored by George Eastman and
therefore, Kodak). I have the George Eastman House laserdisc with about
6000 of their photos and they are incredibly moving.

So, there are many racist films by white directors over the history of
cinema (Adam Sandler and the Navahos, just last week!) but I do think that
they need to be evaluated not only by film historians but also members of
the tribe, people who know the cultures extremely well, etc. We really try
to work with the tribes and people involved in these films before we
release to make sure we are not doing anything that would displease their
communities, and they always find something that we can do to be more
respectful in our release.

Best regards,
Dennis Doros
Milestone Film & Video
PO Box 128 / Harrington Park, NJ 07640
Phone: 201-767-3117 / Fax: 201-767-3035 / Email: milefi...@gmail.com

Visit our main website!  www.milestonefilms.com
Visit our new websites!  www.mspresents.com, www.portraitofjason.com,
www.shirleyclarkefilms.com,
To see or download our 2014 Video Catalog, click here
<http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/7896/files/2014MilestoneVideoCatalog.pdf?75>
!

Support "Milestone Film" on Facebook
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Milestone-Film/22348485426> and Twitter