> If you are interested to see more, follow this link where I demonstrate the
> problem (password is 'loop').

There are probably folks here who know projectors better than I do, but I'll
offer my best guess fwiw in case you don't get a more expert response…

I suspect your Athena needs some fairly serious service. At the beginning of
the video, there's no lower loop and it takes several pulls of the loop former
to get the lower pop to take. This would suggest the claw isn't engaging the
sprocket holes reliably in the gate, failing to push the film down, with the
friction drag in the gate causing the upper loop to grow until the lower loop
is tight. When you stop the projector the first time the lower loop holds, then
loses a frame when you throw the lever back to 'play'.  I assume this happens
because the claw isn't engaging a sprocket hole in 'stop' mode as it should. It
doesn't push the film down until after the sprocket wheels begin turning, which
is wrong. The second time you move the lever to 'stop' the lower loop loses a
frame both on the stop, and then again on the restart to play. So, again that
seems like a problem with the claw in the gate, and the lack of a loss on the
first 'stop' was just luck.

I suppose there could be a problem with the pressure plate not holding the film
correctly in the gate, or the film stock used in the test just has 'issues'.
Did you try it with different samples/types of film stock?

But I'm thinking it's the claw. The projector, like most cameras, is supposed
to complete a pull-down cycle before coming to a abrupt stop, and rest with a
frame directly in front of the aperture in the gate. This is a mechanical
thing, engineered into the stop mechanism. So, for example, if you turn the
projector off and on with an electrical switch in-line with the power cord, it
won't stop with a frame in that stop position, claw engaged, just any old spot
in the cycle and it will slow down first for a second before the inertia runs
out. Then, if you restart by turning that inline switch back on, it will miss
at least one frame in the gate as it speeds back up and the claw finds a hole
to engage.

What your Athena is doing looks enough like that to me that I'm guessing there
might be something amiss with that 'come to a stop' mechanism, rather than with
the motion/sync of the claw in general -- though I suppose that's possible.

Good luck.