This is an old threat, but wanted to mention that in the past year or so
I've actually used the Wolverine film scanner quite a bit.. So felt bad for
panning it so bad a year ago.. It's not perfect, but cheap and probably
better results than the old "off the wall" scheme..

Here's a short "commercial" I did with footage scanned with a Wolverine,
for a German marketing student summer camp... It was shot on a cartridge of
Kahl Super 8mm reversal that had some cool light leaks going on. There is
some digital keying but minimal color correction. Noticeable digital
artifacts, but it wasn't too distracting for this particular project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJ0Pkx5qU5Y