Meridian by Calum Walter

Berlinale description:
Meridian follows the last unit in a fleet of autonomous machines sent to
deliver an emergency vaccine. Through a robot’s agnostic eye, the film looks at
how human dramas are inscribed onto the inanimate, searching for possible
parallels between automation and purgatory, depression and malfunction.
The film is inspired by a real event that occurred in Washington, D.C. on 17
July 2017, where an automated security robot from the company Knightscope was
found floating in a fountain at the building it patrolled. It had plunged into
the water while on a routine patrol, spurring speculation about whether the
machine had chosen to end its life or if this was just a glitch in an otherwise
reliable new technology. Perhaps more interesting than the fate of the machine
was the desire to see its death within a human context.