Have three of the top ones, from Tony Conrad's label, and a couple of the
others. The Jack Smith recordings were done in Tony's Ludlow Street
apartment, which which was a hotbed of activity during the mid-sixties.
Especially notable after John Cale, feeling the heat move in because of his
work for Lamonte Young's thriving drug business, moved in with fellow
Lamonte band member Conrad, met Lou Reed and formed The Primitives, the
precursor of the Velvet Underground. Tony found the cheap VU paperback on
the street and Angus Maclaise, living in the same building, as the first
drummer, until their first gig, when he refused to do it because the pay
violated his anarchist principles. Luckily someone knew someone whose
sister was a girl drummer...

 A few years ago I was talking to my friend Jeff Perkins (himself a former
roommate of Yoko, who herself also was a paramour of Lamonte) and mentioned
the influence on me of a Lamonte Young concert, with Cale and Conrad, in a
little theater on 3rd Ave. His remark was So you were the other guy in the
audience. I knew, from being sidled up to, that at least Allen Ginsberg was
also present, do I went to the Internet and found that there were 3 such
concerts on 64, precisely before Cale moved into Ludlow. I had been to
other avant garde events but for me this was the start of the sixties.

I remember suavely mentioning to the niece twins that I knew a couple of
musicians who were involved with the Velvets, not mentioning that they
(Conrad and Henry Flynt) were Among the geekiest of Harvard math geeks.