Ricky Leacock said that his first job in the film industry was as a “splicer.”
The editor would assemble shots using either paper clips or cardboard joiners
(a piece with protrusions to engage the perfs that could be wound on a reel).
Ricky sat outside the actual editing room and when handed a reel his job was to
splice the shots together. I don’t know what kind of cement splicer he used.

An aside:  the most bizarre task for an assistant editor in the nitrate days
was “cigarette loader.”  There was an editor who had to when he worked, so he
rigged a rubber tube that extended out the window.  The assistant would load a
cigarette into the far end of the tube and light it. Pleasure ensued. Obviously
not too safe for nitrate, but I guess things were not as strict back then.

Jeff Kreines
Kinetta
j...@kinetta.com
kinetta.com