Gene:

When you say “mythic shot of protagonist walking” my first thought is Woody
Guthrie walking through the migrant camp in “Bound for Glory”. But this may not
fit what you’re thinking of as it’s a long take rather than a montage, and the
camera is following the protagonist so we don’t see his reactions. There are
any number of similar following-long-takes in other films, including the famous
onto-the-stage shot in “Primary” and the parody of it in “Spinal Tap”.

If this relates to Kuchar-cam shots, e.g. in “Hold Me…” of course there’s “Pi”
(and maybe other?) by Aronofsky.