If you have a change tent/bag, you can roll out the material and then hand
rewind from the take-up to the feed.
Granted, only do this IF you are OCD like myself and can get the loading
the exact same way each time and if the frame accuracy of the rewind is not
important (enough to care).

OTHERWISE, do what we did back in the day for registration tests and BEFORE
you start shooting take of the lens, swing out that prism and make a big
old X using a sharpie marker on the film plane. NOW: when you reload in the
dark, you can advance the film with the lens OFF at a low frame rate (or
single pulses) until you "X" appears in the gate.

Now all you gotta do is shoot something worth watching ;D

GO! BE AWESOME!
K. (www.lift.ca)

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 3:41 PM Dave Tetzlaff <djte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you ask because you just don’t have a backwind key, they’re very easy
> to make. Just go to a hardware store and look for what iirc are called
> tension pins, cylindirical pins with a slot down the length. One size of
> these things, around ¼” iirc, fits perfectly into the drive socket on a
> Bolex. Then it’s just a matter of turning the pin, which you can do by
> grabbing it with pliers, or by attaching a knob to the shaft — the hw store
> probably will have one the fits and tightens with a set-screw.
>
> > Is there a workaround to (safely) backwinding a bolex without a key?

Karl Reinsalu
e.mail: kreins...@gmail.com