Here's my essay on Sept 11 for Beliefnet, which is the lead tonight and for
the weekend. You're probably already getting tired of reading/hearing about
Sept 11; I know I am. I wonder how this day is going to settle into our
national consciousness, as the years go by. I don't think we can bear to do
this every year.

The funny thing about this essay is, a month ago Bnet editors wrote saying
they were looking for people to write pieces in their 9-11 package, and if I
did one, what would I want to say about how Sept 11 changed things? I said I
didn't really have anything to say--that, overall, it didn't seem to have
changed much at least in my life. They wrote back and said Great! Write about
that!! So I was stymied. I said I'd say (1) We thought everything would
change (2) It didn't (3) Now can I talk about my grandchildren?

I expect this column will be upsetting to some readers, esp those for whom
Sept 11 *was* a profoundly shattering experience. I really don't know why it
wasn't for me. One guess is that I don't live in Manhattan--though, living 40
miles from Washington, I sure didn't feel safe all the time. I jsut felt
philosophical, like whatever happens, I want to be ready. I want to be
spiritually ready all the time, anyway, because you can get hit by a falling
piano any time.

But why I'd feel that way I dunno. When my dad died in a car accident twenty
years ago, that made a big impression on me, that life can be ended just like
that, when you least expect it. And reading the lives of the saints every
night I contemplate how much suffering and general "unfairness" there has
been in the course of the sad world, and 9-11 fits in along a spectrum. In
general it strikes me how little suffering we've endured, compared to most
people in most of history. I spoze that's not the usual viewpoint.

Richard Mouw, Prez of Fuller Seminary, also has an excellent essay in this
package.

Change the channel on the TV sometimes this week. Or rent a Chaplin silent
comedy, or just go for a walk.

****

A year ago everything changed. When the towers fell, we discovered how much
we loved this country, and how much we needed each other. We found resources
of courage that we hadn't known were there. We saw challenge on the horizon,
and rose to meet it.

And then everything changed back.

It didn't happen all at once. With the first shock of alarm on September 11,
we thought that our lives were in immediate danger. Two cities were in
flames; were more to follow? Were we beginning a time of continual terror,
with suicide bombers in our restaurants and poison gas in our subways? Would
more airplanes fall from the sky? Anything could happen, it seemed, and we
resolved to prepare for it.

The last thing we were prepared for was what, in fact, happened: things
returned pretty much to normal.

Of course, there have been some lasting changes, and there is no telling what
lies ahead. But during this past year the thing that we feared most--that
every American everywhere would be in danger--failed to materialize. When the
war did not "come home," September 11 began to resolve into an isolated
shock, something in the past, rather than the first trumpet of a horrifying
new present. As the media mediated it to us incessantly, thoughtfully titled
and set to rumbling music, Sept. 11 changed from "news" to "somber moment in
history." Those of us who saw Ground Zero only on TV remained deeply moved by
the tragedy, but it gradually became someone else's tragedy. Though we
initially feared the worst, with passing months the day seemed less and less
to promise danger for our own lives.

It's a funny thing, but in a way this was a letdown. Not that any of us would
have chosen that alternate reality. If you put a hundred people in a room and
ask who would volunteer to live in continuing terror and misery, a lot of
hands wouldn't go up, including mine. If that disaster had in fact come, we
would now be wishing with all our hearts we could return to safer times.

What we miss, perhaps, was the way that initial shock united and galvanized
us. There are qualities that emerge in people only when they have to confront
adversity, and it seemed like we were about to face the test. It's a dilemma:
any sane person wants to build a peaceful and prosperous society, and yet too
much ease makes us restless. If external challenges are too few we start
inventing internal ones, bickering and complaining like spoiled children.
While a peaceful society can achieve many advances, there are threads of
courage and self-sacrifice that become scarce. We admire those qualities in
our heroes, but every one of them were formed by difficult times. Heroism
only stands out against a dark background. Still we'll pick comfort over
struggle ten times out of ten, understandably. We admire a hero and despise a
spoiled kid, but habitually choose the spoiled-kid life. We tend to want to
be what we despise.

Sometimes God takes a hand in this dilemma, as was obvious to the ancient
Greeks and Hebrews. When a people grows too complacent, God permits suffering
to return them to their senses. The Hebrews saw this as the explanation for
their wartime defeats. The Greeks saw a cycle of Luxury leading to Pride,
corrected by Disaster. But then Suffering would lead to Repentance, and that
would be followed by Blessedness. (Blessedness, taken for granted, turns into
Luxury, and the cycle starts again.)

It seems that the heroic virtues don't emerge except under external pressure;
rare is the person who adopts them spontaneously. We need outside help to be
good. A child who isn't spoiled got that way because his loving parents
surrounded him with firm limits, and God is likewise "Our Father," giving
both comfort and discipline.

September 11, then, presented us with a possible challenge to our
complacency, and we faced it with mixed feelings. For the last thirty years
or so, we've enjoyed comparative tranquility, compared at least to most of
history.

The thing is, we don't like too much tranquility. We start feeling rebellious
against all this plumpness and prosperity, and want to kick something
(ourselves, perhaps). We demand faster roller coasters, grosser movies,
louder music, uglier art.

We're not idiots, of course; we don't take *real* risks. These are mostly
symbolic poses, like an adolescent's wardrobe. We are strongly
self-protective and fond of being plump and prosperous, given the
alternatives. If we are unexpectedly exposed to risks, we sue.

Our grand- and great-grandparents, who through wars and depression struggled
with genuine danger in a succession of grim forms, preferred solace:
sweet-voiced singers, beautiful landscapes, children's entertainment that
kept innocence protected. We scoff at them as naïve, but actually we're the
ones who have led sheltered lives. The wisdom born of adversity has been rare
in recent decades, which is one reason folks who can make a solid claim to be
victims have become our royalty, regarded with awe and envy. The trials
earlier generations experienced first-hand we know only vicariously, putting
people in exotic locations and watching them deal with contrived dangers on
TV. For us, it's entertainment. We've gotten so used to big-boom spectacle
that the phrase I heard most often from those who saw the carnage only on TV
was, "It seemed like a movie."

September 11 felt like it might be the first time our generation would have
had to wrestle with a genuine trial, as earlier Americans had, and perhaps we
would have risen to the challenge just as well. Perhaps those virtues are
within us all the time, waiting for circumstances to call them forth. Perhaps
we would have met the threat last September 11 seemed to hold, and come to
this first anniversary a nation even more united, more disciplined, more
mature, more wise.

It's a good thing that didn't happen. Right?

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com