Here's the review I just turned in of the new installment on the Lord of the
Rings saga. THis was a first for me--I flew to New York, went to the press
screening, and spent all Wednesday in a small hotel room with about a dozen
reporters, doing "roundtable" interviews. How this works is that they set up
multiples rooms of small groups of reporters and rotate people through every
20 minutes or so. Elijah Wood comes in, we ask him questions, he leaves.
Peter Jackson comes in, we ask him questions, he leaves. It's a wonderful
format, small enough to feel intimate, and a chance to get in that special
question you always wanted to ask. (an experienced reporter warned me ahead
of time, this does not include "Did you ever visit my home town, where the
newspaper I'm writing for is based?" Also, it's very bad form to ask for
autographs; if the studio catches you doing this, they never invite you
again.)

I understand that the next "junket" I'll be invited to is "Gods and Generals"
in Feb. I was invited to "Nicholas Nickleby" for Dec 14 but will be giving a
speech in CHicago. THis stuff is fun!

As usual, you can forward this and circulate it, but please don't *publish*
it (that means, put it in a magazine, newsletter, webletter, etc) until after
it appears in Our Sunday Visitor. THat will be Dec 22. You have permission to
reprint it then, but say "this first appeared in Our Sunday Visitor".

****
"The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" is big. You knew that. And it's
noisy--hoo boy, with the surround-sound, it's like being inside a washing
machine. A Victorian poet hailed "ignorant armies [that] clash by night." Now
imagine that literalized, with the help of computer graphic software that
creates gazillions of little critters, each programmed to pick a fight with
the nearest other critter, and each given individual levels of weariness,
impulsiveness, and intelligence. Push a button and a hundred thousand of
these start whaling at each other. In the dark. In the rain. For a long, long
time. If you're like me, after not much of this you start planning dinner and
trying to remember where you parked the car. Be patient, the storyline will
eventually resume.

That's the problem; the movie isn't made for people like me, but for people
who are eager to see little critters pound each other at length. I'll buy a
ticket only once (well, twice), but they'll buy three or twenty. In an
interview in early December, director Peter Jackson hinted at his
frustration. "I have to make the most successful film I can," he said, "both
financially and artistically." It was clear that those aims aren't always in
concert. He brightened when talking about the "extended version" of this film
that will be out eventually on DVD, which will restore the "small character
moments" sacrificed to squeeze in more go-boom. The extended DVD of the first
film, "The Fellowship of the Ring," has just come out, and thirty-five
restored additional minutes results in a movie that, paradoxically, feels
shorter. Now the motivations make sense; now you care about the characters.
We'll have to wait a year to get the same insight into "The Two Towers."

This second installment has the same virtues and flaws of the first. Every
continuing actor perseveres as before, unsurprisingly, since all three films
were shot simultaneously without regard to story sequence. Viggo Mortensen as
Aragorn continues to tilt his beautiful face down like a Pieta, eyes turned
inward and filled with stormclouds. It's a very expressive face, but it has
only this one expression, and he needs someone to hold him down and tickle
him for a half-hour. (Ladies: No, I don't know where you can sign up to
volunteer.)

Elijah Wood, with bulldog neck and golfball eyes, continues to evoke the
Anderson fairy tale of "a dog with eyes as big as the round tower." He has a
few more expressions than Viggo, and in this film gets believably testy with
Sam, but remains essentially brittle and superficial. His superficiality is
well-earned; I had the impression in the interview that he has stalwartly
resisted any temptation to read the book. Sean Astin, on the other hand, is
an intelligent, thoughtful actor who has studied Tolkein closely.
Unfortunately, Sam Gamgee is not a role that allows much range beyond
"earnest." It's the Pillsbury Doughboy with a backpack.

The role of Gimli, played by John Rhys-Davies, is cranked up to supply more
comic relief, to the loss of its dignity. When, in the first film, he
exclaims, "Nobody tosses a dwarf!" it backslapped the bizarre British joke
sport of dwarf-tossing. In this film Gimli says to Aragorn, "Toss me," and he
does. From that point, Rhys-Davies becomes this film's R2-D2. (And they have
the same initials! Coincidence?)

The series graduates most likely to succeed are Dominic Monaghan (Merry) and
Billy Boyd (Pippin). They constitute a match made in Middle-Earth, a clicking
of two whimsical, absurd senses of humor. They hope to team on projects in
the old Peter Sellers mode, for which they will have to discover roots to
ground their carefree, but ultralight, chemistry.

Roots they had in this film, strapped as they were for hour after hour into a
15-foot-tall animatronic tree. Treebeard is one of the beloved characters of
the second Tolkein book, and the episode of the Ents gives a languorous break
in the novel's muscular narrative action. Not till Treebeard appeared on the
screen did I realize that this simply cannot work in a movie. There is
already no time (gotta squeeze in more fightin' critters!). There is
especially no time for a character who takes a very, very long time to do
everything. So we get little glimpses of Treebeard's world, out of pace with
the rest of the rushing plot, yet not enough to establish its own gravity.
It's an unsolvable problem.

The technical showpiece of the film, of course, is Gollum, a
computer-generated character based on the movements and expressions of actor
Andy Serkis. Serkis performed in a bodysuit studded with markers; he was then
erased from the film, and replaced with a stylized version of himself as a
grayish, depraved river hobbit. Perhaps feeling claustrophobic in this
shadowy incarnation, Serkis knocks the role to the ground and throttles it.

Gollum is an impressive effect, but even more so is the transformation of
Theoden. The old king, under the baneful influence of Wormtongue, is walking
dead. Gandalf perceives the hand of Saruman controlling him, and performs
what any Catholic would recognize as, essentially, an exorcism. As Theoden
reawakens, the makeup department shows us one idea of what we're looking for
when we say, "I look for the resurrection of the dead." Looks good.

A similar transformation occurs when Gandalf reveals himself to Aragorn,
Legolas, and Gimli as Gandalf the White. He stands above them in garments
glistening, intensely white, as no fuller on earth could bleach them, while
the three disciples shield their eyes. Wait a minute, I was thinking of the
Eastern Orthodox icon of the Transfiguration. They look a lot alike.

"The Two Towers" is real big, because beneath the cinematic trappings there's
an older and grander story than many fans, or even cast and crew, perceive.
Those who know the deeper story, the one that Tolkein loved, will find even
more to think about, while those cranky critters scramble around in the rain.

Video club: Enjoy teeny-weeny Elijah Wood, eight years old, in Barry
Levinson's poignant, funny film about a Russian immigrant family in
Baltimore, "Avalon" (1990). Here he's a Chihuahua with eyes as big as the
round tower. I wish I'd thought to ask Elijah during the interview, "Young
man, do you know the difference between 'can' and 'may'?"

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com