I've received several replies to my "bad email" message from people who say that *every* time I send something it has an attached file. This isn't the case when I receive my own copy back in my mailbox, so it took me awhile to figure out what they meant. What I think it is, is that there is an automatic signature that appears at the end of the email. It's saved by the program and automatically stuck on the end of every email I send. In the case of mail that comes from me personally, rather than through the mailing list, for example, it's a row of asterisks, then my name, then my web address. I don't type this new every time I send a message; AOL saves it and sticks it on the end of my emails automatically. In the case of email that comes from the list serv, it's information about joining the list.

Apparently for some people, when it comes into your mailbox, your email software reads this signature as an addition rather than a regular part of the letter. It turns it into a file, and if you click on and open the file, you see this "signature."

So when I said "I never send attached files to the mailing list," some people were concerned because they got an attached file every single time. Some thought that, because they'd clicked on and opened it, their computers might be infected. This isn't the case.

Thank God, my computer is not infected. The webmaster who runs the listserv says the location indicators on this mail indicate it began with a computer in Australia, but there are other stop offs as well. It's a crazy world.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com