Relevant Magazine (http://www.relevantmagazine.com) asked a group of
Christians to answer some timely questions--my responses are below.

http://www.frederica.com/writings/7-big-questions.html

***
1. What trends in church and worship styles do you see? Are they positive or
negative?

As an Eastern Orthodox Christian, I'm glad to see communities digging into
the treasures of the ancient church, particularly in terms of seeking beauty.
The less we try to make worship like an evening in the family room, the more we
make it something directed beyond our familiar experience, bringing us to the
God of beauty, awe, and mystery, the better -- and my personal hunch is that
this is more attractive to seekers, too.

The negative, I think, is a consumerist attitude, in which worship leaders
shop for the elements they find most appealing, rather than joining the ancient
community and seeking to understand something beyond their limited experience.
Consumerism feels like "being true to myself" or "choosing what rings true to
me," but it's actually isolated, lonely, myopic, and culture-bound.

4. What do you see will be the greatest challenge for young Christians in the
next 10 years?

I am afraid that every Christian is going to be increasingly challenged by
violent Islam, in ways that will be harder and harder to tacitly ignore.
Ironically, much of what Islam hates about America are things that Christians
ought
to likewise resist: gluttonous consumption, recreational shopping, celebrity
culture, trashing of the environment, the trivializing of sex, the sexualizing
of children, the killing of unborn children, artificializing women's bodies,
depriving boys and men of a coherent and worthy identity, jingoism, any belief
that being "American" takes precedence over membership in the body of Christ.
If we are going to face the threat of death for what we believe (as Christians
have been doing for 1300 years in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East), let it
truly be for what we believe, and not for Angelina Jolie, the "4th Meal," and
extra cupholders.

6. How can a Christian fulfill a passion for social justice as a middle class
American?

I am cautious about the self-label "I have a passion for social justice." I
think it gets in the way. Like wearing a Superman cape. Subtly feeds
narcissism. Judgementalism. A temptation to excuse failings because, hey, I'm
"passionate."

Also insinuates a belief that there are "us" and "the people we're helping"
as if that is two different categories. After the 2004 election I heard a
pollster say, "We Democrats used to be the party of the poor. Now we're the
party
that identifies with the poor." That's worth meditating on.

I'd say, choose a cause that is deliberately un-cool, just to be on the safe
side.

(these next questions were not included in the published article.)

[* Where and how do you feel Christians can have the most impact on culture?

By throwing off the tyranny of programatic, public, "billboard" actions, and
instead taking on the discipline of being loving, humble, and giving in every
personal relationship. "The culture" is a mirage; what actually exists is
"other people," and this method works like leaven in dough.

* How should Christians respond to the homosexuality debate?

Within the community, to continue the same approach we find in the early
church, that people who are struggling with temptations outside heterosexual
marriage, or any other kind of temptation (that is, everybody), should be
welcomed
and supported as they strive to grow in holiness. One neglected tool for this
growth is to have a spiritual father or mother who knows everything about you
and gives encouragement and guidance; apart from that, such struggles are
nobody else's business. Nor should people in the Christian community monitor
the
behavior of people outside it. Likewise, people who choose to remain outside
the community should not try to censor Christian faith or practice. Live and
let
live.

I would avoid (I have avoided) participating in public and political
movements. My feeling is that this is truly a case where we should not
legislate our
faith (unlike abortion, because even a minimal government must prevent violence
against children). But on the other hand I can appreciate arguments that in a
democracy every voice should be heard, including those who want to protect
traditional marriage by legislation. They may have an argument there, but so
far
I haven't felt persuaded enough to join in. ]

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com