Here's an interview appearing today on National Review Online, about my new
book, "The Lost Gospel of Mary."

_http://www.frederica.com/writings/rediscovering-mary.html_
(http://www.frederica.com/writings/rediscovering-mary.html)

In the course of it I mention a 4-part series that was in the Washington
Times a couple of weeks ago, by Julia Duin, about sex-selection abortion in
India,
and how it continues an ancient custom of killing newborn girls; pretty
awful, and probably pretty common through much of the world, through much of
history. As Rodney Stark points out in "The Rise of Christianity," one of the
reasons Christian faith attracted women in the ancient world was that it
insisted on
the equal value of all humans, slave and free, girls as well as boys; and it
also stood against infanticide and abortion. We see this positive view of
girls in "The Gospel of Mary," where it's taken for granted that a newborn girl
is
precious and worthy of love. Reading that is like an antidote.

(You can read the story about sex-selection abortion in India on Julia's site:

_http://juliaduin.com/Publications.html_
(http://juliaduin.com/Publications.html)

scroll down a bit--and you can also see photos of her brand-new daughter,
Olivia Veronica, adopted in Kazhakstan a couple of months ago.)

BTW, I've been invited to begin doing podcasts. Kind of stuck for a name for
it; I was thinking "MamaFred Mix" because it will be a mix of topics. I'm open
to suggestions, though. Podcasts--boy, who would have thought it? I'm going
to be dragged into the 21st century whether I like it or not.

Have a blessed Easter / Pascha weekend!  and here's the interview:

*********************

Q. Frederica, you have a new book out about Mary. Have you discovered a new
gospel? Where was it hiding?
A. I feel ambivalent about the title -- kind of lurid, isn't it! But my point
was that there are many, many ancient Christian texts that are fully
orthodox; it's not only a matter of New Testament versus gnostics. Earlier
generations
of Christians read the same kind of supplemental and devotional works we do
today: biographies, commentaries, letters, sermons, debates with
non-believers...pretty much anything you would find in a Christian bookstore
today. Except
men's dress socks with little fish and crosses on 'em.
_http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=010010X&netp_id=
422761&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW_
(http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=010010X&netp_id=422761&event=ESRCN&item_code=WW)

These works got "lost" mostly because we forgot them--our "family memory"
fades after a few decades or centuries. Contemporary Western Christians have a
bad case of spiritual amnesia. So I'm hoping to put a few of the more appealing
and worthy works back on the shelf. In this book I present three ancient texts
concerning the Virgin Mary, with new translations and verse-by-verse
commentary. The first is a "gospel", or narrative biography, of the Virgin
Mary's
birth and early life.
Q. How important is the life of Mary, especially in her Son's final days, as
a model for Christians?
A. Mary's suffering faith during our Lord's last days is a model and
inspiration for all believers. But what I found in these three documents was
that the
greatest interest for early Christians was in her pregnancy. The fact of the
Incarnation was something early Christians continually marvelled over; also, it
was the grounds on which they had to fight most often, defending the real
divinity and real humanity of Jesus. And it was Mary whom God called on to
provide the physical matrix for Christ's appearance in the flesh; she was a
regular
human being, one of us. That means that on one side, Jesus' grandmother was
named Anna, while on the other side...you see how mind-blowing it is.
Q. What does she teach us about sacrifice?
A. The first text, the "Gospel of Mary," shows us Mary as an adorable little
girl, and then as a teenager coping with a "crisis pregnancy" that could cause
her execution as a suspected adultress. This was an extremely popular work
among Eastern Christians (that is, Asian, African, and Middle-Eastern) in the
second century. Many of the stories here made it to Europe, but the intact text
did not. A 16th century scholar who translated it into Latin named it "the
Protevangelium of James;" this is how scholars know it today, but it's not the
original title (no one title stuck, actually). In this work, Mary is steadfast
under this trial, and teaches us much about courage.
The other two texts illuminate other aspects of Mary's role. The second is a
very short prayer that was found on a scrap of papyrus in Egypt in 1917, and
dated 250 AD; it is the earliest prayer to Mary.  It begins, "Under your
compassion we take refuge...", and it's still in use East and West (Roman
Catholics
know it as "Sub Tuum Praesidium.") This second text shows us that early
Christians believed that she (like all the saints) are alive in Christ's
presence
and continually in prayer, so we can call on her as a prayer partner. The third
text is a beautiful and intricately complex "sung sermon", written around 520
AD, which explores the mystery of the Incarnation and all the ways that Mary's
role is foreshadowed in Scripture.
Q. Is Mary of particular importance to women as a spiritual guide?
A. One of the things that has surprised me, as I explore early Christian
spirituality and the Eastern Church, is that there is so little interest in
gender
division. There aren't separate types of prayer or spiritual disciplines for
men as opposed to women, or for Greek rather than Arab or Egyptian Christians,
or for rich versus poor Christians--none of that seems to matter. In Western
Christianity, of course, we hear a great deal about tailor-made spirituality,
right down to personality type; it fits the grid of our consumer culture. But
in these texts there's very little interest in Mary's feminity; all the
emphasis is on her humanity. She is the Theotokos, the "God-bearer" in the
sense of
bearing a child; her example invites all people everywhere to be Theophorus,
"God-bearers"in the sense of bearing God's presence like a candlewick bears a
flame.
Q. It often seems that poor Joseph doesn't get the coverage Mary and Jesus
(natch) get. What should we know of him?
A. Yes, Joseph is usually relegated to standing in the background and leaning
on his staff. There's a bit more about him in the Gospel of Matthew (Matthew
knew the story of Mary's pregnancy from Joseph's point of view, Luke from
Mary's), and in the "Gospel of Mary" he is an even more developed figure. When
he
discovers Mary pregnant, he becomes extremely distraught; when the High Priest
tells him he must separate from Mary now that she's pregnant, he weeps
openly; when he's making plans to bring her to the enrollment in Bethlehem, he
talks
about how embarrassed he is to present this pregnant woman, decades younger
than he is, as his wife. Most interesting is the scene when Joseph helps Mary
down from the donkey and goes to find a midwife. Suddenly all of nature is
frozen: he sees the birds motionless in the air and the stream standing still.
The
time of Christ's birth is accompanied by nature's stillness and awe, just as
his Crucifixion will be accompanied by noontime darkness and earthquakes.
Q. Could Mary REALLY have said NO to God?
A. There's a toughie! It's the unanswerable question of how God's will is
done, yet humans aren't mere robots. I think we have to say, on the one hand,
that Mary's acceptance was free and unconstrained, and all Creation hung
breathless on her reply. But, on the other hand, God knew her as well as he
knows
every human being; he knew her every thought and action, and so he knew that
she
was the right girl to ask. When my daughter was a toddler, I used to think of
this puzzle this way: I knew that if she heard me open the refrigerator, she
would come over and reach into the bowl on the bottom shelf for an apple. I
didn't compel her to do that, she was free not to, but I knew my daughter. He
knows us that way. And God draws us in a similar way, much like a beautiful
piece
of fruit draws a little girl: his beauty is compelling, and anyone who's had
even a taste of his presence never forgets it, but continually hungers for more
(just like a whiff of cinnamon at the mall makes you crave a cinnamon bun).
Christianity is not an institution, not a purveyor of spiritual transactions,
but a treasury of wisdom; it's the "art and science" of gradually, increasingly
being able to bear the light of Christ--the thing that we are made for, and
yearn for.
Q. Are Catholics too into Mary?
A. When you picture Christ on the Cross looking at his mother, and think
about how much he loved her at that moment, and how he said to John (and
through
him to us), "Behold your mother" -- surely no amount of love we give her could
ever displease him. But I think that over the centuries her role has sometimes
been misunderstood and exaggerated, in ways that must distress her. Folk
belief has sometimes held that she can overrule her Son, that she has her own
magic powers, that she is something of a demigod. But the leading
characteristic
of her life was humility and service; her whole goal was perfect union with
God's will! Mary has been sometimes misunderstood over the centuries, and
accorded imaginary powers, separate from her Son, things that would probably
sadden
her. I saw an anti-Catholic comic book once that showed Mary kneeling before
God's throne and asking him to have mercy on people who exaggerate her role,
and
the thing is, that's a pretty good picture of what the best of Roman Catholic
and Orthodox Christian belief says about her: that she us praying for us,
that she is our friend and prayer partner.
Q. Is there a message in your book for non-Christians?
A. One of the interesting things about the Gospel of Mary, that I hope will
intrigue non-Christians, is that it is such a strong depiction of a little girl
being loved. When I read Julia Duin's extraordinary 4-part series in the
Washington Times about sex-selection abortion in India I was heartbroken; I had
never before visualized the century after century of little newborn girls being
strangled, buried alive, left out for wild animals to devour--simply because
they were female. Now sonagrams and abortion are making this killing a prenatal
matter, and the ratio of newborn girls to boys is plummeting. Well, that's
the way much of the world has been, for much of history; the most endangered
human being on the planet is a little girl.
But in the Gospel of Mary we see the birth of a girl greeted with a cry of
exultation, and watch as the girl is treasured and cuddled and loved throughout
her childhood. There's a lovely 14th century mosaic icon in a church outside
Constantinople
_http://www.travellinkturkey.com/istanbul/chora/chora_mosaic14.jpg_
(http://www.travellinkturkey.com/istanbul/chora/chora_mosaic14.jpg)
that shows her parents, Joachim and Anna, embracing and kissing her. Whatever
else was going on in the rest of the world, among Christians in the second
century it was easy to believe that a little girl was precious. That's worth
thinking about.
What about Mary in the Easter story is most revealing?
It's funny, but the texts I look at in my book don't focus Easter; they're
primarily concerned with Mary's conception of Jesus. So many splinter groups at
the time were denying either that Jesus was God, or that he was human, and the
obvious place to emphasize that he was both was in Mary's womb. But of
course, Mary's role at the Cross, on Easter and on Pentecost, is resoundingly
significant. What most intrigues me is the hints in the Scriptures that at the
time
of the conception of Christ, she had only a partial idea of what God's plan
was. The hymn she sings after the conception of Christ, known as the
"Magnificat", clearly expects that the Messiah will be a military leader and
expel the
Roman oppressors. That didn't happen; very tragically the reverse, and the
utter
devastation of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. So it must have surprised Mary when
Symeon told her, on her first visit to the Temple after Jesus' birth, that "a
sword
will pierce your soul also." In Orthodox Christian hymnography, as Mary sees
Jesus carrying the Cross, she calls out to him and asks where he is going;
perhaps to another wedding at Cana, to turn water into wine? We know that in a
deep sense this moment is, in fact, the entrance of the Bridegroom, and that he
is going to feast and he will provide the wine. These hymns, which we will
sing Thursday night in Eastern Orthodox churches, portray her grief with great
intensity; it's a good idea to bring some tissues to dry your eyes.
Q. What are you doing for Easter?
A. We Orthodox Christians have about a dozen services in the days leading up
to Easter, and many churchs will host all-night vigils on Friday night, as the
psalms are read aloud next to Christ's tomb. We observe Easter (we call it
Pascha) with a midnight service on Saturday night. We'll begin in a darkened
church with some ancient hymns, have a candlelight procession outside, and then
come back in to find the church transformed with light and flowers. The service
that follows takes about 3 hours! When it's over we gather for a breakfast
feast with champagne and all the foods we've been fasting from during Lent. The
last person rolls out the door around dawn--just when our neighbors are
heading out for their Sunrise Service. It's a powerhouse of an evening, and I
don't
think I could handle it more than once a year!

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com