I got to see "Spider-Man 3" last week, and really enjoyed it. the previous
two were great moviegoing fare, too, but I think this one tops 'em all. It's
worth going out to see on the big screen.

_http://www.frederica.com/writings/spider-man-3.html_
(http://www.frederica.com/writings/spider-man-3.html)

This review will be published by Beliefnet, not the usual National Review
Online, and Bnet of course has a stronger interest in ethical and religious
elements--that's why the review highlights those. The version Beliefnet posts
later
this evening will be shorter and somewhat different from this (I haven't seen
the final edit yet) but, as usual, I prefer the original :-)

**********
Spider-Man 3
It's just a guess, but the kind of person who hangs out on a website like
this--a thoughtful person, intrigued by spiritual realities, seeking eternal
truths-is probably *not* going to be the biggest fan of movies where stuff
blows
up. "Spider-Man 3," the latest in the series from director Sam Raimi, is the
action movie for them. It's got pathos and ethical dilemmas and character
complexity and romance and plot twists and church steeples and comedy and
tragedy.
And stuff that blows up.
The earlier "Spider-Man" movies (2002 and 2004) were better than the usual
superhero fare in both style and substance. Plotline and characters were
handled
with a dash of quirky amusement, but the moral of the story was set forth
with an irony-free straight face. That moral was not a square-headed cliché
about
Justice and Courage, but the more complicated truth that the super-powerful
are particularly bound to humility and self-restraint: "With great power comes
great responsibility." There was an invitingly old-fashioned quality to these
stories, with a chaste true-love angle, and kisses treated with more respect
than complete nudity gets in other movies.
The third "Spider-Man" exceeds its predecessors mostly in quantity; there is
an abundance of subplots and complications, and just when the film seems
likely to unravel the strands come to a reasonable close (reasonable within
superhero conventions, that is). This very complexity makes it impossible to
talk
about the movie without revealing some of the plot, at least the originating
strands. If getting the biggest possible surprise is a priority for you, you
might
prefer to stop reading here.
The film gives us approximately twice as much of everything: two Bad Guys,
two Pretty Girls, two boyish free-lance Newspaper Photographers, two Stolen
Kisses, and two opportunities to rescue damsels who are helplessly suspended
high
above Manhattan's skyscrapers. There's one main Ambivalent Character, but he
does make the full cycle between bad and good *twice*.
The film also gives us two kinds of Spider-Man: good and evil, red and black.
And that brings us to the movie's central theme, the futility of vengeance.
If you think about it, that's an unusual theme for an action movie, because
vengeance is very often the spur. Vengeance sells. Anger and resentment and a
certainty they've been ill-treated lie just below the surface in most people. A
plot that shows a good guy treated unfairly, and a smug and heartless bad guy,
whips up quick and easy emotion. The worse the good guy's treatment, the more
extreme the bad guy's payback can be. This is really a nasty kind of
entertainment, a sort of emotional porn, nurturing self-righteousness and
anger. The
message seems to be: Might makes right; if you don't have might, get it, and
get
even.
"Spider-Man 3" subverts all that. Early on we see a meteorite crash and
something crawl out that is nearly indescribable; a splotch of rubbery black
that
slaps and flaps itself along, sticky and prehensile, a parasite seeking a host.
Eventually it attaches itself to Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire), the
mild-mannered kid who, as crime-stopping Spider Man, has become New York's
hero. The
creature weaves itself around him in a new black Spidey suit, and for young
Parker this gives an exhilarating sensation of power. But this parasite feeds
on
the worst things inside its host, and Parker begins to behave in ways that
frighten him. He hides the black suit in a trunk, but can't quite resist trying
it
on again.
This motif will remind some viewers of Frodo the Hobbit in "The Lord of the
Rings," who was debilitated by the One Ring he carried; it inevitably infected
its bearer's mind with a desire for ownership and power. Spider-Man's
transformation under the effect of this sticky malevolence is compelling
because it's
so believable; the same agile, nervous energy that marked nerdy Peter Parker
morphs readily into vanity and cruelty.
In a forthrightly moralizing scene, Parker proudly tells another character
that Spider-Man has killed a bad guy. His hearer objects that "Spider-Man
doesn't kill people." Surprised, Parker asks, "But didn't he deserve it?" Here
comes
the movie's signature: "I don't think it's up to us to say who should live or
die. ...Vengeance is like a poison that can take you over, and turn you into
something ugly."
Parker doesn't take this advice. He starts wearing the dark suit under his
street clothes, and Dr. Jekyll lets Hyde slip the leash. The influence of Dark
Spidey recreates Parker as a smooth hipster, arrogant and cold and sexually
confident. Whether the confidence is justified I can't say; I thought the women
reacting to him on the street were repulsed, but the guy who attended the
screening with me thought they were swooning. And there was another gender
divide:
when Parker has a falling out with his girlfriend Mary Jane, it seems that
women think the passage is well-handled, but guys think she's being a whiner.
And
another thing, the film stresses that, in order to marry, "A man has to be
understanding and put his wife before himself." Maybe there'll be some
disagreement there too.
Parker's ugly behavior is seen when he reveals a co-worker's mistake with
showy contempt, and the man is fired. When he complains, "Why don't you give a
guy a break?," Parker sneers, "You want forgiveness? Get religion."
Religion and faith get a surprising nod, in fact. When Parker gets really
worried about the dark suit's effect, he notices the cross on top of a church
steeple. He perches on it like a gargoyle then, under the shadow of the tolling
church bell, he manages to peel away the clinging parasite. It falls and finds
a new victim, and in a climactic scene Parker pleads with this character to
give it up: "I know what it feels like, it feels good, that power--but you'll
lose yourself." But the fronds of rubbery black caress and surround the
character's head, a good representation of the power of aggressive, distorting
thoughts. As the darkness wraps over his eyes, the lost character grins and
says, "I
like being bad. It makes me happy."
The film's closing words recall the overarching theme of responsibility.
Parker intones: "Whatever comes our way, whatever battle is raging inside us,
we
always have a choice. It's the choices that make us what we are, and we can
always choose to do the right thing." In other words, choice does not, by
itself,
confer moral neutrality. Some choices are bad choices ("I like being bad").
And even small choices shape the chooser, bit by bit, perhaps into something he
would not choose to be.
Having said all that, there's still much more I'd like to say about this
film. There's a whole other Bad Guy, a monumental tragic figure, who stumbles
into
a "particle physics" experiment and is whirled into molecules. (Well, sand. I
guess it would tax a comic-book illustrator to try to draw individual
molecules.) Even if you've seen more CGI special effects than you want to, the
sight
of this melancholy hulk (Thomas Hayden Church, with a lost blue stare and a
sagging lower lip) being eaten away by wind and turned into whirling sand is
extraordinary. It's no less so when the being attempts to re-form as a man, but
keeps flowing and melting away. He labors to lift himself and reaches toward
the locket that holds a photo of his daughter-but the hand that falls upon it
shatters into a million grains of sand. It's terrific.
There's only one real clunker, a moment toward the end of the film, when an
extremely minor character steps forward and reveals information that
dramatically changes everything a major character knows. So, he couldn't have
done that
earlier, before all the whiz-bang fighting and flying around?
I haven't mentioned the fight scenes, which is where most of the special
effects come in. Being of the girl persuasion, I'm not the best judge of
high-quality stuff-blowing-up, but there did seem to be a lot of people and
things
flying through the air and slamming into other things and catching fire and so
forth. Mostly it was too fast-paced to follow, and I wasn't sure just who was
colliding with what. And it seemed strangely irrelevant to the interaction and
dialogue that came between the noisy sequences-sort of like the moments in
old-fashioned musicals where characters who had, till now, behaved normally,
suddenly face the camera and sing. In the "Spider-Man" movies, they start
hitting
each other. I don't get it, but I know for some viewers that will be the "best
part." Yet even for them the other stuff, the dialogue and characters and
underlying themes, are all richer than the usual action movie fare - it's a
banquet
of a movie.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green