Hope yall are having a good summer. We had a busy vacation at a state park in
the mountains of South Carolina, followed by a quick trip to see family and
the beach in Charleston. I don't understand why vacations seem to be so *busy*
these days. I used to get so much reading done!

1. here is a piece that appears in the new Human Life Review, my contribution
to a symposium on "Is There a Post-Abortion Syndrome?," which was prompted by
an article by Emily Bazelon in the New York Times Magazine last winter. As I
look at this essay now I think, oh dear, this is awfully rambly. I drew on a
couple of emails I'd written and put it together fast. I appreciate the editor
not cracking the whip about it.

2. And let me recommend a new book: "Light from the Christian East" by James
Payton:

_http://www.amazon.com/Light-Christian-East-Introduction-Tradition/dp/08308259
40_
(http://www.amazon.com/Light-Christian-East-Introduction-Tradition/dp/0830825940)

Click the link above to read my review. I read it a couple of years ago in
manuscript and was very impressed. I'm glad to see it in print.

3. and let me remind you about my podcast. It's turning out to be a lot of
fun. A new one comes out each Thursday or Friday, and is about 10-20 minutes
long, usually me interviewing someone (this week is on the Western Liturgical
Rite in Orthodoxy) but sometimes just plain ol' me, talking abt something that
caught my eye. You can set your iTunes or other player to download these
automatically this week, or just go to the webpage and click the link to listen
any of them, whenever you want. it's at

_http://www.ancientfaithradio.com/podcasts/frederica_
(http://www.ancientfaithradio.com/podcasts/frederica)

4. A blessed Feast of the Dormition (the Assumption, to our Roman Catholic
and Anglican friends)! A few years ago I pictured what it might have been like
for St. John to care for the Virgin Mary when she became elderly. So many of us
are now looking forward to similar situations with parents; he might prove a
patron saint for people in that situation.

_http://www.frederica.com/writings/elder-care-for-jesus-aging-mother.html_
(http://www.frederica.com/writings/elder-care-for-jesus-aging-mother.html)

********

the HLR piece:
Shortly before Christmas, I got an email from the journalist and Slate.com
editor Emily Bazelon. She said that she was writing an article for the New York
Times magazine about "women's experiences post-abortion." She said she hoped
to talk to me that day or the next, and apologized for the short notice. Since
I was in and out of the office a lot those pre-holiday days, and thought we
might not connect by phone in time, I drafted a quick email it hopes she could
mine it for some quotes. Here's what I wrote her:

<<I feel bad that I've gotten rusty on this topic--lately I'm writing more
about Eastern Christian spirituality, etc. So I've forgotten all my statistics,
and hope I can be a useful interview.
The main general reflection-thing I'd say is that it seems that the abortion
issue is "cooling off" -- not that advocates on either side are any less
passionate about it, and not that the political fight is concluded, but that
the
public has lost interest. Other issues have grabbed their attention. I first
noticed this in 2000, when Newsweek's 6-page comparison of Bush and Gore on
important issues did not include abortion.
So I like to say "The abortion debate is over," meaning that folks aren't
listening any more. The "fight" isn't over, from the point of view of either
side, but the debate is over because we've run out of interested listeners. The
auditorium is empty and the lights have been turned off.
I think in a way this is a good thing. That there is a lot of ambivalence
about abortion out there, as well as much submerged post-abortion grief. This
needs a "moment of silence" to be able to rise to consciousness, so people can
admit and recognize these conflicted feelings, and move to a new stage. As long
as the debate is hot, people immediately think in terms of "which side are you
on," and these deeper questions -- about what abortion really is, about how
it makes us feel, how it affects our relationships and our sense of
ourselves--keep getting stuffed down.
One of the women I interviewed in my book "Real Choices" told me that after
the abortion she felt she couldn't tell anyone about her sad feelings. She said
that if she told pro-life friends she was depressed about her abortion, they
would reject her, saying, "You had an abortion? You're a murderer!" And she
couldn't tell her pro-choice friends because they would say, "What are you
complaining about? You had a choice. Are you a traitor to the cause?" It seemed
like there was nowhere to go. As the heat cools off, voices like hers can be
heard.
I think that as these conflicted feelings rise to the surface we'll be better
able to understand what abortion does to a society, and admit how many of
them are negative. That abortion adapts women to a hostile situation, rather
than
challenging and changing that society -- adapts her physically, like a
whalebone corset does.
When I was a college feminist and championed women's right to abortion, I
thought of it as something liberating. I had no idea that there would be so
*many* abortions--I think the total now is 47 million. We all thought it would
just
be a few "hard cases." But it seems like abortion is a funnel that women's
complex situations get stuffed into -- she gets changed, so that those around
her don't have to. And the idea that an abortion was a liberating experience
was
quickly overturned by the reality that women go into it pressured and
panicked, and come out of it weeping. Abortion is not something any woman
wants. And
if women are doing something 3500 times a day that they don't want to do, this
is not liberation that we've won. >>
I did get a call from Emily a little later. I was struck by how young she
sounded, and also by the fortification of her voice-the way responsible
journalists talk when they're interviewing psychos. It was clear that there was
nothing
a pro-lifer could ever say that she could consider reasonable. A pro-lifer
who sounds reasonable is worse than a clinic-bombing freak, because at least
those guys are honest. A pro-lifer who sounds reasonable is also
*lying*--misrepresenting herself and impersonating a normal person. And that's
just sad.
Early in the conversation I learned that her article was not so much about
post-abortion grief as about the political usefulness of the concept. And,
though I might have had something to say about the pro-life cause in general,
I'm a
complete washout when it comes to politics. I took part in the Maryland
abortion referendum of 1992, and finished the course depressed and drained.
That
was my first and last foray into politics, as I detailed in an essay for these
pages (Human Life Review, Spring 1993).
After our phone conversation, I described it in a note to a friend:
<<I had a hard time getting a handle on what she was getting at. Her theory
seems to be that some time, years ago, pro-lifers became interested in using
post-abortion women in their political efforts. But after Surgeon General Koop
disappointed them by failing to endorse the concept of post-abortion trauma
they let it drop. (He believed that argument diluted the strength of pro-life
argumentation based on the right to life of the unborn.)
I told her that it wasn't like that, from my perspective; post-abortion women
had always been steadily present in the movement. And that I didn't think
there was ever any broad attempt to "use" them in a political sense. Even
though
some of us had been encouraging a broadening of the pro-life message to
emphasize the good works we do for women and their needs, the emotional core of
the
message pretty consistently focused on unborn babies and fetal development. I
said, "We walk the walk but we don't talk the talk." The great efforts
pro-lifers make to help women are not something we parade in the public square
or
employ to change opinion.
Emily told me that there is now revived interest in post-abortion women, and
mentioned the organization Operation Outcry. But, she asked, if pro-lifers
support post-abortion women, why won't they fund them? Why won't they give them
money?
I kept saying "Huh?" Give them money? I didn't get it. Eventually I said that
pro-lifers do fund projects for post-abortion women. They do it mostly
through local pregnancy care centers, because that's where the services are.
It turned out that Emily meant funding for political campaigns. Apparently
someone in South Dakota had told her that national organizations would not fund
the recent campaign in that state, and Emily seems to think this is because
the campaign used post-abortion women.
I said that couldn't be so. There was no blanket refusal to speak of
post-abortion grief in political settings. There must be another explanation. I
told
her that I thought I'd read somewhere-maybe the New Yorker--that some
pro-lifers felt the South Dakota campaign was not the right way to go. But that
wouldn't have anything to do with the involvement of post-abortion women.
I don't think she was convinced. I am frankly not sure what she's getting
at.>>
Since I'd proved my incompetence to answer Emily's questions, we concluded
the conversation, and I suppose she went on to locate other pro-lifers who were
more familiar with the topic under discussion.
This morning I went to a local Catholic girls' high school for Career Day; I
talked about being a free-lance journalist. Several of the girls want to write
fiction and others want to be opinion or nonfiction writers; one wanted to be
an editor. I warned them about how tough the competition is, and how hard it
is to get started, and how thin the pay is thin even when you've been at it
for decades.
But, I said, there's good news. One day, everybody who's my age will be dead.
And people in your generation will be writing the novels and opinion pieces
and features and book reviews, and editing them, too. The best, most
influential writer of your generation is someone who is your age today, I told
them. Why
shouldn't it be you?
When that day comes, perhaps pro-life convictions and reasoning will be heard
in the big Establishment publications, and allowed to express themselves in
their own terms. I hope some of those girls will make it happen. I will be
happy to lean over the edge of the cloud and cheer them on.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com