This is a review for Christianity Today Movies; it's on their website at
_http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/reviews/2007/bella.html_
(http://www.christianitytoday.com/movies/reviews/2007/bella.html)

and on mine at

_http://www.frederica.com/writings/bella.html_
(http://www.frederica.com/writings/bella.html)

***

The energy in the kitchen of an elegant Mexican restaurant in Manhattan is
cranking up steadily, as the staff braces for the noon rush. One waitress,
Nina,
is running late, which is becoming a habit. She dashes in at the last minute,
but Manny, the owner, tells her this is one time too many, and fires her on
the spot.
As Nina storms out, the head chef, Manny's brother Jose (a mysteriously
tragic guy, peeking out through a forest of beard and hair), follows her
outside to
make sure she's OK. When he learns that she is pregnant, he walks away from
the restaurant and spends the day at her side, compelled for unknown reasons to
try to help her. Over the course of the day, their conversations, encounters,
and decisions will send changes rippling through many lives, over many years.

I can't say much more about the plot without giving away spoilers, but rest
assured that "Bella" is well worth seeing for yourself. It's a quiet film,
carried along mostly on the conversation between Nina and Jose. Nina makes it
clear early on that she will not have the baby. Her situation is one all too
sadly
common, and the reasons that she gives for being unable to raise a child, or
even to bear one to place for adoption, are all too familiar. Jose does not
try to argue with her-but he listens. And gradually Nina discloses more and
more
of her life, so we can see what steps brought her to that day. Jose has some
history of his own to reveal, as well.
It's not exactly an action movie, but it's not all talk either. As Nina and
Jose make their way through New York they encounter plenty that is interesting
to watch. They look eccentric themselves, he in his white chef's jacket, and
her in the gaudy flowered dress that is her waitress uniform. "Bella" is always
inviting to watch; shots are framed and color is used in ways that are
creative and consistently effective, without being show-offy. The sound track
ranges
from Rosemary Clooney and Nina Simone to steamy dance music (Spanish) and
scratchy-voiced sincerity (English), and it's all right on target.
I also admired the way time is layered in the film. We see scenes that occur
both before and after the single day that Jose and Nina spend together, but we
don't know how those scenes fit into the bigger story. In some movies this
kind of thing is used in a flashy way, to startle viewers and hopefully impress
them, but here they're part of an organic larger story. As they fall into
place it feels very natural; these time shifts serve the story, rather than
dominate it for zip and dazzle purposes.
This is a first film for director Alejandra Gomez Monteverdi, and the two
stars, Tammy Blanchard and Eduardo Verastegui, are also new to Hollywood.
Blanchard carries the intense role of Nina gracefully, applying restraint in a
role
that could have easily turned melodramatic. Even in a scene where she must to
turn on a dime from angry to sobbing, Blanchard makes it smooth. She's
immensely believable; her Nina is no drama-school concoction, but a likeable,
ordinary
person facing a heartbreaking situation.
Her costar, Eduardo Verastegui is a good match for her, rendering Jose not so
much brooding as shipwrecked. Verastegui is an interesting character in his
own right. For years he was a hugely successful soap opera star and singer,
"the Brad Pitt of Mexico." But after experiencing a deeper commitment to his
Roman Catholic faith, Verastegui began to regret his part in reinforcing
adulterous "Latin lover" stereotypes. In a speech this past May to the annual
pro-life
Rose Dinner in Ottawa, Verastegui said that some of his earlier work had sent
messages that are "poisoning society." He went on, "It broke my heart...I
realized that I was offending God."  He summed up, "I wasn't born to be famous
or
rich. I was born to know and love and serve our Lord Jesus Christ."
http://www.catholic.org/hf/faith/story.php?id=24088
In a chance encounter at his church, he met movie producer Leo Severino, and
they formed Metanoia Films in order to produce movies that can persuasively
present an alternative view ("metanoia" is the biblical Greek word for
"repentance"). Some Christians would find it tempting to make a blaringly
obvious,
preachy movie, but Verastegui and Severino have wisely opted for quality
instead.
"Bella" is beautiful to watch and hard to resist.
About the only flaw in the film became clear to me as the end drew near: I
saw that the characters just were never going to get any deeper than they are.
It's a good story and the ending wasn't what I expected-but by that point I
expected something more or less along those lines. It's a bit pat, I'd say. The
characters harbor no ambiguities; when the credits roll, we can feel sure that
we've learned all there is to know about them. Despite that minor
disappointment, the ending still brought tears in my eyes, and left me feeling
awed and
grateful for the beauty of family. I can see why the film won a standing
ovation
and the Toronto Film Festival, and also the festival's People's Choice Award.
If "Bella" affects others the way it did me, that's only the first in a long
line of awards that are coming its way.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com