Thanks to all who responded to my question the other day, about movies that
are better than the book they're based on. I got so much mail about it that
it confirmed my "rule" that people are more eager to talk about movies than
just about anything else. People feel that they have the expertise to talk
about movies, while they don't feel that about contemporary art, fiction,
music composition, and so forth. Its the one true remaining egalitarian art
form.

What prompted this is that I think the movie "Prince Caspian" is better than
the book. It fixes some of the book's flaws. I'd asked if I could review
"Prince Caspian" but the editor told me someone else had already claimed it;
however I was welcome to write on it if I came up with a different angle, so
this is it. The piece will appear tomorrow at National Review Online and
I'll send it out then. I'll tell you this: so far, the movie most considered
superior to the book is "Gone With the Wind." Can you guess which is second?
It also begins with a G.

Below I've pasted in a mini-review I wrote for First Things journal, of
"Encountering the Mystery;" it's written by Patriarch Bartholomew, Patriarch
of Constantinople and Ecumenical Patriarch of the entire Orthodox Church.

today's podcast is a little different. About a year ago I was speaking in St
Louis, and in town at the same time was Leonard Sweet, a well-known author
and speaker among young evangelicals. The event hosts decided to put the two
of us in front of an audience for an hour and videotape the questions and
conversation.

At one point Len began saying that the Bible doesn't only say light is good
and dark is bad; it also says that light is bad and dark is good. This was a
wholly unfamiliar idea to me, so I wrote to Len to learn more about what he
meant, and did some bible study myself. In the podcast I explain that I
found that scripture never refers to God as dark, but says that he "wraps
himself" in darkness, while flashing out as light. It's the image of a
lightning storm. Anyway, it's an interesting question, and you can hear more
on the podcast at this link:

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/frederica/fhn_light_pc.mp3

or at this phone number:

817-582-1598

I was recently interviewed by the Chicago Tribune about icons, too:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/religion/chi-relig_greek-icon_02may02,0,1913564.story

here's the book review:
*****

ENCOUNTERING THE MYSTERY: UNDERSTANDING ORTHODOX CHURCH

By His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew

Doubleday, 249 pages, $25.00

The preacher who gets comfortable with rolling lengthy sermons off the top
of his head may be an engaging speaker, but his writing is likely to be
meandering and verbose. Likewise, the person who grows up in a religious
minority, perennially aware of the real (if not official) hostility aimed
his way, is apt to form a habit of vigilant verbal diplomacy.

Thus, when Patriarch Bartholomew writes that "After the fall of
Constantinople [to Ottoman Muslim invaders in 1453], Christian buildings
could not be covered with prominent domes," it doesn't mean that the laws of
physics had mysteriously altered. The passive voice enables him to finesse
the awkward fact that the Turkish government lays stringent restrictions on
expression of religious faith, including the forms of church architecture. I
expect that he would agree with the contemporary proverb: You have to choose
your fights.

So how does he fight? Primarily through requesting dialogue. This is not as
pointless as it sounds. The ground rules of dialogue provide the weaker
party with a foothold, recognition and some safety, while obligating the
stronger party to stop, listen, and at least pretend respect. (I learned
this while dialoguing with abortion advocates, as a co-founder of the Common
Ground Network for Life and Choice.) So when the Patriarch writes at length
about the Christian obligation to "cherish" strangers and renounce petty
nationalism, then concludes that "we emphasize that the religious rights of
minorities must be duly respected, including and especially their right to
worship and education," you may catch that he is deftly drawing a line in
the sand, and drawing international attention to it. The Patriarch's alma
mater, the Halki Seminary, has been closed by order of Turkey's
Constitutional Court since 1971.

Such jabs are subtle enough to be lost on American readers, however. While
similar matters of poverty, freedom, and the environment occupy the book's
latter half, earlier chapters do a good job of presenting Orthodox faith and
life in the gentle, simple terms typical of Orthodox devotional writing.
While I now savor such writing and find it genuinely inspiring, Western
readers, who expect theology to be in the form of propositional jousting,
are apt to find such talk too vague. (As a Newsday editor told me regarding
a paragraph I'd written on theosis: "It just sounds so theoretical!") I can
see how "Encountering the Mystery" would satisfy the aims of the author and
publisher, but it wouldn't surprise me if ordinary American readers find the
encounter still a little too mysterious for their taste.

--
********
Frederica Mathewes-Green