this week's podcast follows up on recent topics. First, some further
thoughts about light. Someone emailed me to ask, "But before God said 'Let
there be light,' wasn't he in the dark?"

http://audio.ancientfaith.com/frederica/fhn_lightandevangelicals_pc.mp3

Secondly there's a followup to the podcast about 9-11 and God's protection
and mercy. In the latter I said that I had a strange experience when I was
awoke in the wee hours this past Sept 11, and as I prayed I gradually gained
the impression that God will spare and protect America because of the
strong, sincere love so many Americans have for his son.

After that podcast aired, someone asked me, "Did you know that Fr George
Calciu said the same thing?" Fr George was my spiritual father till his
death in Nov 2006, and had survived imprisonment in Communist Romania. A
recent issue of "The Orthodox Word" is devoted to him, and in the course of
a transcript of a speech he contrasts France with America in terms of how
freely people express their faith. He says "As long as simple people speak
about God, as long as simple people read the Bible, America is saved" --
pretty nearly exactly the thought that had come to me.

in this followup I think more about that "simpleness" and how it is the most
simple of American Christians who are mocked and feared; even many
evangelicals strive to differentiate themselves from garden-variety
evangelicals, because the latter have such a bad public image. (They have a
strategic reason for this differentiation; the primary mission of
evangelicalism is evangelism, and people don't want to listen to what I call
"simple" evangelicals because they are hated and feared--thus the urgency
about establishing a separate identity. But I think this doesn't pan out in
the long term, because there are simple litmus tests, mostly about
sexuality, that allow any kind of evangelical to be lumped in the "bad guy"
pool.)

On the contrary, I think that it is *good* to side with exactly these simple
and despised evangelicals, to whatever extent we can in sincerity, precisely
because they are mocked and despised. That is the point at which Christians
are closest to being persecuted in the US today. Matthew 5:11-12 says that
this is a blessing, and that we should rejoice and leap for joy if we are
despised and lied about. Standing up next to the simple, hated evangelicals
(in so far as we can, in good conscience) is a way to share in that
blessing.

A week from today I will be in Chicago, speaking at the 40th anniversary
convention of Birthright International, an organization that began offering
help to women in unplanned pregnancies years before Roe v Wade. The
volunteers at these pregnancy care centers are likewise lied about and
despised, because they don't recommend abortions. We should listen to our
Lord and learn to see these slights as blessings. Instead of getting rankled
because things aren't fair, we should "rejoice and leap for joy", and
imitate our Lord who forgave and loved his enemies. That's such a basic part
of the Gospel, but even among Christians the idea has mostly vanished, I
think in part because we are fed such a steady stream of entertainment that
valorizes "getting even". Well--if you're interested, there's more in the
podcast.

********
Frederica Mathewes-Green
www.frederica.com