An English journal, Orthodox Outlook, asked me to submit an article having
to do with the saints. I turned in this essay about my relationship, so to
speak, with the Virgin Mary.

also, I wanted to pass this on: Martha and Mary House is an Orthodox
Christian maternity home in Escondido, California, near San Diego. Website:

http://www.marthaandmaryhouse.org/

Sarah Elizabeth Oftedal has been the full-time housemother there for a long
time and is very much in need of assistance. In her newsletter she writes,
"House Mother Assistant Needed! Live-in with room and board and a small
stipend. With a calling as 'co-struggler in Christ' to provide spiritual and
practical support for womrn who face difficult life choices for themselves
and their unborn children." If you think Christ may be calling you to this
ministry, contact Sarah Elizabeth at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

***

"The Saints and Me"

I wrote my most recent book, "The Lost Gospel of Mary: The Mother of Jesus
in Three Ancient Texts," about the Theotokos, and the main reason was that I
felt like I didn't understand her very well. I recognized that other
Christians feel very warmly toward her, but I always felt kind of scared of
her. She looked so fierce, in her icons. (I underwent some teasing in an
all-girl school when I was young, and maybe that had something to do with
it.) I could look at the icon of Christ and see that he looked equally
tough, and yet I could understand why, and knew that he loved me. I wasn't
sure that the Virgin Mary did. I hoped that by looking into the way that the
earliest Christians saw the Virgin, I would myself learn a healthier
perspective.

I already knew that it is possible for a saint to just "show up" in your
life, and there they are, no denying it. It would begin, perhaps, with
finding that references to the saint are popping up everywhere, and then
progress to a sense of presence. I don't know exactly how to describe what
that is. (Do you think that, if you were reading a magazine in a park, and
someone began staring at you, you'd gradually become aware of it? It's that
same inner thing, whatever it is, that can sense the presence of another
personality.) I had become a Christian due to one of those "Damascus Road"
conversions, when the presence of Christ suddenly impinged on me with
undeniable power. Over the years since then I'd become alerted to the
presence of some of the saints as well - as if at first I was looking at
Christ, a brilliant light in a darkened room, but as my eyes adjusted I
began to see his friends, gathered around him, too.

Over the years I've felt visited, if not accosted, by St. John Chrysostom,
then by St. Panteliemon. Once they show up, their presence remains, the
distinctive "flavor" of each personality, just as you can sense a summary
"flavor" of any friend you think about. It's like being in a circle of
people at a party, in general conversation. If I look over at one saint or
another, their presence blossoms forth.

We had a saint show up at our church in a more dramatic way. A few years
ago, when we first organized our parish Sisterhood, my husband, Fr. Gregory,
asked us to come up with a patron. Members of the group submitted several
names, and we gathered on a Saturday morning to pray about which one to
choose.

As we sat around the table, Roxann, the church secretary, read the names on
the list. When she got to St Nina, several people said, "Who's she?" Roxann
asked who had put her name on the list, and no one there had done so. Nobody
knew who St. Nina was. Then Roxann remembered that there was a biography of
her in a recent issue of "The Handmaiden," and got a copy and began to read
it aloud. St. Nina, born in Cappadocia, went to Georgia as a 14-year-old
(some say, having been abducted and sold there as a slave), and by her
preaching the royal family, and then the entire nation, came to Christ.

I was sitting next to Roxann, and on the other side of me was Ina, the
Sisterhood president. Soon after Roxann began reading, I noticed that Ina's
breathing had changed. I glanced over at her and her eyes were closed, and
there were tears streaming down her face. I like to tease Ina by saying, "Oh
yeah, she's a weeper," but the truth is that she has had, since her
Protestant childhood, a propensity to flow with tears in any number of
spiritual contexts. Ina's chin was lifted and she looked like she was
focused intensely on something; she looked noble, I thought.

So Roxann kept reading until she got to the end of the story. We all looked
at Ina, and she seemed to "wake up." Ina asked, "What was that? What
happened?"

Of course, that's what we wanted to ask her. She explained that she hadn't
heard a word of the story. From the moment Roxann began reading, Ina was
overwhelmed with the presence of something holy. She couldn't hear because
her ears were filled with the sound of a mighty rushing wind.

Then I remembered something. I had seen a copy of the next day's church
bulletin, and there was an icon of a female saint on the cover. I showed the
bulletin to the group: it was an icon of St. Nina. It was her feast day.

We all looked at each other and someone asked, "Should we vote now on which
saint to take as our patron?" My husband said, "I don't think you get to
choose your patron. St. Nina has already chosen you."

There's a finishing touch: we later learned that our antimins was signed on
the feast of St. Nina. Over the years St. Nina has continued to show her
presence, attracting to our parish a donated iconostasis-sized icon, and a
relic of earth from her grave. She's a bold evangelist, worthy of the title
"Equal-to-the-Apostles."

I've found St. Anna to be an especially good friend. In July of 2007 I was
able to see her myrrh-streaming icon, which resides at Our Lady Joy of All
Who Sorrow Church (ROCOR) in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. I don't recall
sensing anything particular that evening, except being entranced by the
fragrance of the myrrh. But within a couple of days there she was, leaning
right into my awareness. What a wonderful character she is! I had several
experiences where I asked her prayers for something and they were answered
pretty much instantly-something I never expect to happen. The personality I
sense is so comfortable and hearty and happy. It's a joy to know her.

So of course I prayed to her, "Dear St. Anna, I want to know your daughter.
I am not comfortable with her; I feel scared of her. I know that's nonsense
but I don't know how to change it. Please help me. Please help me to love
her."

Now, I have had, in fact, a couple of experiences with the Virgin Mary over
the years. I was driving into Baltimore one Saturday morning, long ago (I'm
checking my diary to keep things straight; seems it was November 16, 1991),
and had to drive around some construction in one lane. There was a
hand-lettered sign noting the obstruction, and I don't remember what it
said, but I remember that something about it struck me funny-it was
misspelled or phrased in an awkward way or something. I laughed out loud,
and then out of nowhere the presence of the Virgin Mary hit me like a big,
wet bag of sand. Wham! I felt overwhelmed. I started weeping. But the whole
thing was so ridiculous that I was laughing too. Through laughter and tears
I said, "Don't do this while I'm driving!"

That's the end of that story, and I know it's a strange one. It was
memorable, all right, though I never knew what to make of it.

The next story that I can remember is more recent--May 29, 2004. My husband
had recently gotten a new car, and had gone to the extra trouble of getting
one with a standard transmission (not automatic transmission, like most
Americans drive). A month later I wanted to move it a bit further up the
driveway and decided I didn't need to go get the key-I'd just put it in
neutral and let it roll forward.

Well, it did roll, but I discovered that without the key the steering wheel
was locked and I couldn't turn it. The car rolled on down the driveway and,
as the driveway curved slightly to the right, it continued to go straight,
right up onto the retaining wall at the driveway's left edge. It kept on
rolling, and I realized that it was headed to glide off the retaining wall
and fall to the left, dropping some four feet into the neighbor's
yard--landing right on the driver's door. The brakes weren't
responding.  (Maybe
I was pressing the clutch by mistake?)

I had no idea what to do. It was too late to open my door and jump out-the
car would land on me. I couldn't jump into the passenger seat, with the
stickshift in the way and time running out fast. It was certain the car
would be smashed, and I didn't see any way that I wouldn't share the same
fate.

Then the car ground to a halt. The retaining wall had been rising a bit, and
it had become just high enough to lift the car off its wheels. And there it
hung, the two wheels on the driver's side in the air, suspended halfway into
the neighbor's yard.

I got out as quickly as I could. Fortunately, my husband wasn't home. I
called for a towtruck. They came, took one look, and went back for a bigger
towtruck. During that time my husband came in the door and I said something
that started with, "Honey?"

By this time it was dark. It took the towing company quite some time to get
their equipment fitted around the car in order to lift the front end and
roll it backward. The mechanic told us that the car would surely need some
expensive repairs. He explained that as it rolled up onto the retaining wall
the undercarriage would have been thoroughly scraped. The car might even be
totaled.

I went into the dining room where I could look out at the situation through
the window. I was praying hard, the "Please please please please please"
kind of prayer. (I recently read this quote from Scott Peck: "Worry is my
favorite form of prayer.") Then I noticed the little statue of the Virgin
that my mother had given us, right next to me on top of the china cabinet.
This was a 16th century statue carved of boxwood, about a foot tall, and my
dad had bought it decades ago when the Metropolitan Museum in New York was
selling off some excess items in their collection. As long as I could
remember it had simply been an attractive bit of decor. No one prayed before
it. But somewhere along the Rhine it had been carved for a church, and it
was originally made for prayer. So I prayed, "Mary, help us! Please let
everything be OK!" I wish I could say that I had some spiritually elevated
prayer about God's-will-be-done, but all I wanted was for the car to be all
right.

And it was. And that statue of the Virgin now sits on my desk, getting the
attention it deserves. When a friend brought me a bit of quartz from Mt.
Athos, I put it at her feet, so she can look down and see something
familiar.

Here's a third story. On October 23, 2005, I went to see the miraculous icon
of Our Lady of Sitka when it visited Washington, DC. The service was being
held at St. Nicholas OCA Cathedral, and though there was a big crowd,
somehow I wound up standing right in front of it, facing her directly,
during an akathist that lasted an hour or more.

Now, this is an unusual icon. Our Lady of Sitka was painted in 1850,
commissioned by Russian laborers in Alaska as a gift to the cathedral there.
It's an especially delicate and tender Theotokos, and looks more like a
portrait than an icon usually does. She looks like a precious, innocent
young girl, and it's sweet to think of what she meant to the tough old guys
swinging pickaxes in the wilds of Alaska.

The main thing is, she's not scary. She looks alert and interested and kind.
So I just soaked in that presence for awhile. My daughter Megan, who was
with me, was praying for a physical healing, and as the worship moved on I
began to have a strong sense that the healing was taking place. It was; her
son Michael was born 9 1/2 months later.

And here's one more. On Nov 20, 2005, I was getting ready to turn out the
light. I had finished my prayers and bible reading. Then I became aware of
the presence of the Theotokos, and had a sense I should go on paying
attention to it. I felt a question form, from her to me: "Are you hurt?"

The question surprised me. I sure didn't feel hurt. I thought over the day,
and could think of a couple of incidents that had marginally hurt my
feelings-nothing serious. I indicated those moments to her, then said, "But
they aren't big hurts. It doesn't matter." The answer came flying back at
me, almost before my reply had been expressed: "It does matter. The reason
you were hurt was because they hit your pride." Wham!

It's only been in the last few months, however, that I've begun to become
more comfortable with her. The biggest help in this healing was actually
something rather simple. I had begun saying a more expanded version of
bedtime prayers, and there is one that goes:

"Let us hymn the most glorious Mother of God, holier than the holy angels,
and confess her with heart and mouth to be the Mother of God, for she truly
bore God incarnate for us, and prays without ceasing for our souls."

It was that last phrase. The thought that she "prays without ceasing for our
souls," that she prays even when we don't ask her to. That she prays for
everyone; that it is just in her nature to pray, and to love.

That sounds like someone I could trust. I'm looking forward to knowing her
better.

--
********
Frederica Mathewes-Green