Following up from Bianca Gibson's comments...

At the university of Melbourne you can access the information futures report
http://www.informationfutures.unimelb.edu.au/commission/reports

which states:

To deal with globalisation of education and its infrastructure we will:
   Leverage the opportunities offered by being part of a global collaborative
community. 6.
We will actively seek to participate in collaborative communities and
partnerships that enable us to influence and leverage abilities beyond our
means as an individual organisation. We will use open standards, open source
and other open initiatives to ensure that we can effectively collaborate,
'trade' and re-use the work of whole communities. We will not invest in
creating bespoke solutions that we could readily achieve in other ways or where
they do not add unique and deep value to our mission.

The report online is dated 2008, but I believe it has been reiterated in a Dec
2011 update. So The University of Melbourne apparently encourages use of open
source software!

Geoff

! Professor Geoff Shaw                                                    |
! Department of Zoology                              ,,                   |
! The University of Melbourne  3010                  |:>                  |
! Email g.s...@zoology.unimelb.edu.au.              ///\--                |
! Phone 61-3-8344-6267 Fax 8344-7909                ||||>                 |
! <http://www.zoology.unimelb.edu.au>        ______//||___                |