http://f-droid.org/

The f-droid repository appears to only have 8 pages of applications, that
would be 240 apps or less.  Obviously we need to have a wider range of apps
there.  It seems that there are free apps which aren't in f-droid, the Serval
and "c:geo opensource" people seem to be committed to free software but don't
have their apps there.  Also some app developers haven't published any
interest in free software but have aims which match - the Marine Traffic app
is one example where the developers should be FOSS friendly.  So some f-droid
and FOSS on Android advocacy would probably help.

It seems to me that f-droid makes for a usable phone.  It has applications of
enough of the important categories to get by, I could potentially delete all
my Google Play apps and install only f-droid stuff and have a useful system -
one that would allow me to do my current web surfing and do all the things
that my clients require me to do (IE the ConnectBot for ssh access).

It would be really good if we had more games on f-droid.  There are currently
no games in the business simulation, action shooting (like 1942), cannon
shooting (like Angry Birds), and tower defense genres.

I now have a general plan to make my main Android phone have only f-droid apps
at some future time for security reasons among other things.