Hi all,

Thanks for a great meeting last night - and welcome to the new people!

We had a good discussion around DRM, in the lead-up to next month's Day
Against DRM. Below are some notes that I jotted down. I notice that some of
the action items are already being worked on. Nice one!

Suggestions for topics for next month:
- How can we be more involved with LibrePlanet?
- FOSS-friendly employers, both in terms of IT companies and others (e.g.
how do you get the print shop you work at to start using FOSS?)

Cheers,
Alex

----

What message are we trying to get across? E.g. do we want to cause a
boycott of DRM-encumbered media, or just raise awareness?

Problems:
- People don't care.
- Common objection: "Amazon is so convenient"
- It's an uphill battle, in the same way as it's an uphill battle
convincing people to be green.

Solutions:
- Play up the convenience of having DRM-free media.
- We must be able to cite alternatives.
- Promote the DRM-free sources -> we should compile (or find) a list.
- P2P distribution system that bypasses traditional publishers, but still
allows authors to be paid. Or something like flattr.
- Talk to people who have been burnt (e.g. Ubisoft customers, who couldn't
play their games for a week).

Comment: when (if ;) copyright on a work expires, what happens to copies of
it that are DRM-encumbered?

Actions:
- Show the rest of the world that Australia is in a more favourable
position, to get them to stand up for their rights.
- E.g. region-free DVD players.
-> Two Bens to write about this on our wiki.
- Compile a list of DRM-free media vendors and authors.
-> Bernie to create page on wiki.