Anze Slosar wrote:

    The potential value of the kiosk disc due to it's lack of a media flag
    is obvious.  A mod chip potentially allows all media to shed it's media
    flag so may be a tool through which Linux finds it's way to the 360.

Hi,

sorry for being slow, but could someone explain me what makes this kiosk disc working on any xbox 360? Is it digitally signed or how it is authorised? I've heard that there are unsigned application that actually get executed from the disc (is this true?) and if this is the case wouldn't be 'trivial' to put our code in there? Are the standard games just a different filesystem or do they actually use a different technology (i.e. would you need an updated driver in the PC an updated firmware and a completelly different drive to read them?)

(feel free to tell me to f* off, but please point me to a wiki or discussion...)

regards,
a.

The executables are still signed, however the media files (music, video, etc) are not. There is the potential for a buffer overflow given the ability to change those files (ala 'softmod' hacks for the Xbox1). Another interesting hack has been the execution of custom instructions in the GPU's shader. This seems to have little value given that the shader cannot access system memory.

Martin replied before I sent this (damn RL job :) but in regards to his comment about use of the kiosk disc not being legal; it would depend on who is using it. More than one kiosk Xbox has been sold (accounts on various blogs) some of which have included the disc. While likely a contractual violation between Microsoft and the retailer, it is not illegal to sell it.

There is at least one individual who obtained a copy of Microsoft's 'testing' disc when his 360 was returned from repair. Has anyone seen any information about that disc?