On Tue, Apr 18, 2000 at 01:37:46PM -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On 18 Apr, Scott Haug wrote:
> > If it is possible, I'd prefer to use the C++ interface, for now.  I'm not very
> > knowledgable about developing for windows, and know little of its limitations
> > as far as dll's go.  Someone else wrote the dll interface, so I'm not terribly
> > familiar with it.  So if there's a solution which allows us to use the C++
> > interface for all platforms, I'm all for it.
>
> There isn't such a solution -- anytime that a program communicates to
> a library via the C++ interface (vtable) both programs need to be
> compiled with the same compiler. The C++ standard never standardized
> how the names should be mangled and therefore two different C++
> compilers cannot talk to each other.
>
> It sucks balls, but anytime you're creating a library that multiple
> applications from different compiler architectures need to use, you
> should use the standard C interface.

Forgive my ignorance, but I'm not sure I understand.  Maybe I don't grok enough
how freeamp is built/distributed.  Is this an issue with just the Windows
platform, or is it a problem with every platform?  If it's just Windows, Elrod
suggested id3lib would ship with the Windows version, in which case wouldn't
they be compiled with the same compiler?  How does the compiled library under
linux affect the Windows version?  Wouldn't freeamp under linux be compiled
with the same compiler as id3lib under linux?  Or am I completely missing the
point?  Again, I apologize for this.  I'm new to this cross-platform
development thing.

> > My next major goal for id3lib, however, is a full-fledged C interface.  If
> > using the C++ interface for both platforms isn't tenable, I will speed up that
> > part of the project and get it out to you ASAP, possibly by next Monday.
> >
> > Let me know what you would like.
>
> The dll wrapper C interface is not terrible -- it will work ok. If you
> could expose that interface in linux as well, I would be very happy.
> This should not be tough -- I could lend a hand there if necessary.

Any help you can give is greatly appreciated.  I'll get crackin' on it ASAP,
and I'll give you updates via private email of my progress to let you know if I
have any issues.

Thanks,

-Scott