On Wed, 4 Apr 2007, Ivan Voras wrote:

Robert Watson wrote:

Some things that might be neat to see articles about in the next six months as 7.0 approaches:

I've had quite a few hits on my little summary "what's cooking for 7.0" page, so I concurr the people are interested.

I suggest to make an official section on the www.freebsd.org web which will host these kind of articles. Sort of tied into the release system, so in addition to the usual "Release notes", "Errata", "Supported platforms" and other documents, each .0 version would have a "Highlights" section (one or, preferebly, more pages) with a high-level to mid-level description of the new (non arch-specific) features, presented as "selling points" for the whole RELENG branch.

I know that there's a short paragraph or two about new features in the release notes currently, and I think this should stay, but I really think there's a need for longer articles hosted on the official (i.e. not on third-party) web site.

If this passes in some form, I volunteer to write about the storage-oriented things such as gjournal, ZFS & similar.

I agree. The release notes are a great technical reference, but they are hardly marketing pieces. It would be good to see media- and human-friendly articles highlighting the new features in a release (and their importance), as well as articles on specific topics. The same thing is true of the status reports vs. commits, btw: sometimes making a list sorted by interest as opposed to by integration date is important. :-)

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge