On 09/04/2007, at 10:48 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007, Sam Lawrance wrote:

Would it be worthwhile to form a "media coordinator" role? I can think of two areas of value for this role: announcement coordination and media
liaison.

FreeBSD has a media coordinator -- it is made up of marketing
professionals, book authors, active announcement and/or press release
writers, freelance writers and a few others.

Announcement coordination would be provided as a service to our
developers and the community. For example, before committing or MFC'ing
some hot new feature, people can ask the media coordinator for
assistance with the announcement. This might involve helping to draft the primary announcement, writing articles for submission to news sites,
the sort of information described above by Robert.  The work can be
delegated, the key is simply to provide all the right information to the
right people and channels when an announcement is made.

This is frequently done, but usually the marketing team contacts the
developers. We do need to remind developers to contact the marketing
team.

Also the marketing team doesn't have defined goals or any set schedule --
and also no single person to accept responsibility. Nevertheless, the
volunteer marketing team has done a good job over past couple years --
take note of the several press releases distributed. (In a few cases,
press release writing and distribution has been paid for. Also I have
personally contacted many print publications for several news stories over
past couple years.)

The effort is apparent - I think that most people here would have seen it, whether or not they recognised it as a product of the marketing team :-)

Has the marketing team considered developing and working to a charter? Similar to portmgr, secteam, releng, and doceng? I noticed that the team is listed on freebsd.org/administration.html. There's no visibility from freebsd.org/marketing, which is where you may expect to find it.