On 06/10/2013 05:01, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> this type is called 'design'. As an engineer I do the software behind
> an website but I do not dare to make the design. Ok, I tell the
> designer, when I think the design could be improved but I do not dare
> th change it myself.

The trick is to realise that site design is simply another form of
engineering, albeint with rather different contexts and constraints
than writing software.

Writing a website so that the users can interact with it readily, find
and understand what they wat, avoid frustration and have a pleasant
overall experience is conceptually much the same sort of thing as
writing a website so it doesn't hog server resources or continually fail
ungracefully or have a badly indexed sub-optimal database schema.
Basically you want it to do it's job efficiently and smoothly, whether
'it' is the back-end server code, or the on-screen presentation.

Granted, optimizing sites for human interaction is a whole different
skill set, but it's not some holy task that only some annointed designer
with the mandate of heaven can undertake.

        Cheers,

        Matthew

--
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.