James S Blankenship <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> 2001.  I'm going to work with DesktopBSD for a bit to
> familiarize myself with BSD/Unix.  I'd like to learn
> as much as possible about FBSD and Unix in general,

Get yourself some books.  Old ones will do fine.  There are a few BSD
ones but Linux or Unix will do OK too.  They are useful mostly for the
basic UNIX concepts, which aren't real well covered by OS docs.  I had
an obsolecent "The Complete FreeBSD" when learning FreeBSD which was a
great help, especially because it's good to have the index of a thick
book around when learning.  I don't know anything about DesktopBSD,
but I'm guessing it's best to use FreeBSD because of the FreeBSD
Handbook, which has huge amount of relevant info that you can learn
from.

If you want a great book to learn about the traditional "UNIX
philosophy" and culture, but which is very up-do-date too, I highly
recommend "The Art Of UNIX Programming" by Eric S. Raymond
(Addison-Wesley).  It might be too technical for you, so look at it
before buying, but it's all at a rather high level and really lets you
get a feel for what was/is/should be in the minds of UNIX developers
and gives a lot of history too.

Good luck.