On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

What do you use for your workstation printing?

I am looking for suggestions and experiences with using printing software
without any daemon running and not needing to queue the print jobs. (It is
okay if remote is a server -- I am just talking about a workstation.)

I recently read that foomatic-rip can be used as a stand-alone lpr
alternative. It uses PPD files, a render like ghostscript, and is said to
work with all known spoolers.

Can lprng or cups be used without having a daemon running? (Like for
printing directly to an attached parallel port printer.)

For remote printers, you should look at rlpr - ports/print/rlpr

Jason

--
Jason Slagle