Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
Dan Langille <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
My work (yes, Im now employed) is looking at deploying servers to
client sites. They arent so much servers as appliances. The boxes
serve a distinct function, and not much else.

Our hardware needs:
 between 2TB and 8TB of storage in a RAID configuration
 1U or 2U case
 good reputation

Sounds like you need a SunFire X4500, except they're 4U.  I'm not sure
you can get 8 TB into 2U with today's hardware; you'd need at least 16
data disks, plus parity and spares, say 20 altogether.  The most I've
ever seen in a 2U case is 8.

I'm partial to our solutions. Here's a 2U with 12 bays that takes 750GB SATA:
http://www.ixsystems.com/storageNAS.php*

*Dan, I'm sure we sell the system as a stand-alone solution, without the management software.

-matt
*

*

--